Swiss Travel Pass – from Italy to Lucern to Paris

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2017 at 3:12:52 #813318

Hello

We are going to have swiss travel pass and we need to travel from Venice to Lucern and Lucern to Paris as per our travel plan.

I was checking the SBB website for reservation. However, I couldnt find an option to pay only for the Italy and France stretch of those travels.

From/to which rail station the Switzerland jurisdiction starts for Swiss travel pass? Is there an option to buy one single ticket for Venice to Lucern and only pay for the Italy side of the trip? Or do I need to buy 2 tickets for one journey ( One each for Italy portion and Switzerland portion of the journey)?

Thanks for helping

Zico

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 September 2017 at 4:43:25 #870022

Hello Zico and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you use the SBB Timetable to search for Venice to Luzern (German spelling) you should come to a page which looks like the attached.

To receive the Swiss Travel Pass benefit you want to select the reduction for Switzerland as GA 2.cl 1 year /GA Subscription (assuming you have a 2nd Class STP). The SBB ticket shop is set up for Swiss Residents so does not show the Swiss Travel Pass Option. You might want to read this as well http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy and this http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france

The Swiss Travel Pass becomes operational at the Swiss border (in this case Chiasso).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2017 at 9:51:46 #870023

Hi Zico,

Since your Swiss Travel Pass will cover travel in Switzerland, we often suggest just buying a ticket from Venice to the Swiss border town (Chiasso) and then from the Swiss border town (Basel) to Paris. You can use the links Rockoyster gave you above to buy those tickets.

You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here. It can be emailed to you for printing at home which is the easiest option (no need to line up at a rail office and you have an electronic back up).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2017 at 17:01:16 #870024

Thank you for all those suggestions.

Just to confirm, when I get in the train from Interlaken to Lucern or any 2 stations on Glacier Express Route, I dont need to buy any tickets if I have a swiss travel pass? The train comes and I just get in right?

Are there routes which not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass excluding cable cars?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 September 2017 at 21:41:34 #870025

Hi Zico,

Yes, with Swiss Travel Pass just board any regular train. You also need to have your passport readily available for identification if asked. Panoramic trains like the actual Glacier Express also need a reservation before boarding.

Some (very few) trains only offer a discount and therefore need a separate ticket. Refer to map at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity to see full coverage details.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – from Italy to Lucern to Paris’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.