About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Covid-19 effects on travel in the Swiss Alps
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Covid-19 effects on travel in the Swiss Alps

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Thermex
Thermex
1 post
Sep 11, 2020 - 1:29 PM

I was wondering if covid-19 has made a difference in the alps for accommodations such as hotels and mountain huts and also retail stores etc.

I know from my father that the swiss population is very friendly. Does anyone know if this has changed since covid-19 (I have travelled to a few countries in the past months and in some of the places the population have changed their views on turist (and yes I only travel in a safe way and I take note of all precautions)).

I was thinking of hiking the Walker’s Haute Route (France, Switzerland) and I have checked the rules for travel and I belive I should be fine.

With gratitude Tobias (Denmark)

Arnami
Arnami
29 posts
Sep 11, 2020 - 4:39 PM in reply to Thermex

Hello Thermex,

Welcome. I have been to Switzerland this July so I hope my review can help you.

Due to Covid-19 there is no as such change in the behavior of swiss people except they have to follow the social distancing and must wear mask. We actually got better price in the hotels in Geneva, Lauterbrunen and Lucern. But the welcome and warmth and smile of the staffs actually made us forget the stress of this ongoing pandemic.

There are extra cleansing measures and sanitizers available everywhere. But few hotels/bnb don't provide daily room service or buffet breakfast to avoid contamination. That will be mentioned in the respective website when you start making reservation. We got room service in laussane and lauterbrunen but not in Lucern and geneva.

About the public transport be ready to face few changes in the time table or even route especially if you are taking any not so popular route.

There is regular cleaning in the trains that we have seen.

We are Indian staying in Netherlands and visited Switzerland during my daughter's summer vacation. So in the hotel or sometimes in the train we need to show both our passport and the BSN card (temporary residence card) as they were surprised how from India we were able to travel to Switzerland!

Also we saw many across counter train ticket sales has been now been stopped (may be for tim e being) and tourists are encouraged to online booking!

Well, actually they missed Indian tourist this season as you know Switzerland is a popular tourist destination for us. And so we're very happy to recieve us. We faced absolutely no difficulty, no discrimination due to Covid. They are lovely welcoming people, always.

I hope this helps you a bit to plan your trip.

Wiah you all the best

Best regards

Anna
Anna
960 posts
top member &
Sep 11, 2020 - 6:20 PM in reply to Thermex

Hello Thermex,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Coronavirus pandemic has certainly impacted on the Swiss travel and tourism industry. Like other countries around the world, Switzerland has implemented various measures to mitigate and control the spread of the virus. These measures include social distancing and compulsory wearing of masks on public transport and in most shops. In addition, travellers entering Switzerland from countries and areas with a high risk of infection must go into quarantine.

Arnami has provided a very insightful view about her recent trip. Thanks Arnami! And if you need more tips and suggestions, feel free to browse this page for all the information you need: www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus

This thread also has plenty of information on the same topic: www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Sep 11, 2020 - 6:22 PM by Anna

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020