About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum New COVID travel restrictions in Swiss trains
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

New COVID travel restrictions in Swiss trains

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Thom500
Thom500
3 posts
Sep 11, 2021 - 10:44 PM

We have a pass from 17.09.2021 for 15 days. We are traveling from a third country. With the new regulations will we be able to travel by train without being tested every 3 days?

Annika
Annika
6583 posts
expert &
Sep 12, 2021 - 9:21 AM in reply to Thom500

Hi Thom500,

No worries, the COVID-certificate is not required for public transportation in Switzerland. Instead, you should wear a mask in trains, buses and cable cars and keep a 15, m distance.

You will need a COVID-certificate for entering public areas such as restaurants and bars. Tourists from abroad will be able go get a COVID-certificate once they're in Switzerland, but this is all new and a smoothly functioning system is not in place yet. It should be by late September. Until then, a free test performed in Switzerland should get you the certificate.

New travel rules for tourists entering Switzerland will become effective after your arrival (on September 20). I don't expect that those new rules will also apply to tourists that already arrived before that, so no, I don't think you'll require additional tests once you're there. It's not even decided what those new rules will exactly look like.

Please find it all explained at www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland. You'll also find links explaining where to get your certificate and/or where to perform a test.

Thom500
Thom500
3 posts
Sep 12, 2021 - 12:06 PM

I am aware of someone who received notification that they are required to have a negative test QR code to board the Glacier Express since they serve food. What other lines will this impact? Any with food cars?

Annika
Annika
6583 posts
expert &
Sep 12, 2021 - 6:45 PM in reply to Thom500

Hi Thom500,

You're right, the COVID-certificate will be required in the Glacier Express: www.glacierexpress.ch/en/menu/services/aktuelle-lage/.

I've not seen this confirmed for all train catering services in general. For example, the SBB make no mention of it: www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/during-your-journey/rail-catering/up-to-date-information.html.

On the other hand, just as an example: the certificate will be required for restaurant sections of the boats on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz: www.bls.ch/en/freizeit-und-ferien/schiff/schutzkonzept.

So I think this new development is still in its very early stages, and that public transport companies are now figuring out if and how to apply it. It's not a requirement by the national government for public transport in general, so I think that the demand for a certificate will be limited to some special routes and/or catering sections.

We'll try to find out more in the next few days and update the thread I linked to once we have further confirmation.

Last modified on Sep 13, 2021 - 5:32 AM by Annika
YellYose
YellYose
1 post
Sep 12, 2021 - 8:11 PM in reply to Thom500

We just spent 4 days in Zermatt, arriving by train from the Zurich airport and then travelling again by train to Chamonix yesterday. We never had to show any proof of Covid testing or vaccination (even though we have both). We just had to wear masks. There was no enforcement of social distancing as some of the trains were crowded, but we just upped our masks to KN95s and felt safe. We never ate in a restaurant in Zermatt, but we went inside bakeries, grocery stores, rode mountain lift gondolas with strangers, and all that was ever required was to wear a mask. We realize this may be area specific and may be changing, but just wanted to share our experience so far.

PS, we also did not need to show any proof of testing or vaccination when entering France from Switzerland by train. We applied for their Pass Sanitaire but are still waiting. We see some restaurants requiring them, but not grocery stores or the trains or buses.

FonsReps
FonsReps
2 posts
Sep 14, 2021 - 9:17 AM in reply to Thom500

Last year when I went to Switzerland I booked a tour called das Europa-Spezial.

FonsReps
FonsReps
2 posts
Sep 16, 2021 - 12:54 PM in reply to FonsReps

I think It'd be better if I add more info for u guys. The www.dbfahrplan.com/de/ das Europa-Spezial was more of an individual tour than a big one. Everything was covered, including the train ticket, the food and the hotels. I travel with some of my friends and the only thing we had to worry about was what things to bring along with us. However, I believe it is entirely possible to check out the train timings there. But next time you go to Switzerland, I would definitely recommend trying out any of these tours so that you won’t have to make a fuss about this

Last modified on Sep 16, 2021 - 12:54 PM by FonsReps
jlovda
jlovda
49 posts
Sep 17, 2021 - 9:10 PM in reply to Thom500

When someone mentions ""Glacier Express" does imply every RhB train going from Chur to Disentis or just the ones with the panorama coaches?

Second, I will be going to Switzerland on Oct. 6 (assuming nothing changes). As an American, I do not have an EU QR code, just a CDC certificate given out by the pharmacy. Will this cause any problems? Of course, I will be taking the mandatory pre-flight, pre-entry Covid test.

Thanks

1960man
1960man
2765 posts
top member
Sep 18, 2021 - 12:41 AM in reply to jlovda

No. There are 18 normal (aka regional aka local aka 'real') trains each day Chur - Disentis and currently only 2 Glacier Express services. There is zero need to travel on a Glacier Express on that section. There are no catering services on the normal trains so the extra restrictions applying to the Glacier express don't apply

There is a common misconception by many overseas tourists that the 'Glacier Express' is 'its own' railway - not just one type of train on an otherwise normal public railway. (due almost entirely to the heavy marketing of the Glacier Express as a 'concept' in the last 20 years or so)

Anna
Anna
1473 posts
top member &
Sep 18, 2021 - 5:31 AM in reply to jlovda

Hi Jlovda,

The Glacier Express specifically refers to the panoramic train between Chur and Zermatt, and runs twice daily in October as 1960man mentioned in his post. You can find more details here: www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress (click on the tabs to buy tickets online, reserve seats and find details about the route)

If you are fully vaccinated with a vaccine recognised and authorised in Switzerland, you can apply for a Swiss covid certificate online. You can find out how to do this here (refer #7): www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland/

Regards,

Anna

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021