Cow festivals in Switzerland in September

• Glovermicki
    Participant
    17 posts
    4 August 2022 at 20:37:14 #827977

We will be in Switzerland from Sept 14th to Sept 28th. Is there a calendar of the different dates for cow festivals? Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    5 August 2022 at 12:03:57 #945175

Hi Glovermicki,

You might be interested in the Entlebuccher Alpabfahrt. It’s the biggest Alpabfahrt (cattle descent) in Central Switzerland and takes place on 24th September 2022 in Schüpfheim (near Lucerne).

For other similar events, you can check out the Switzerland Tourism calendar.

You can explore other cultural activities here: http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/culture

regards,

Anna

Glovermicki
    Participant
    17 posts
    5 August 2022 at 13:41:34 #945176

Thank you Anna. I think I have made adjustments to our schedule so we may go to the Entlebuch cattle drive. I realize so much of our travel is centered on mountain tops and I want more of the culture and village experiences. I appreciate your suggestions and will look at the calendar

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2022 at 15:23:02 #945177

I responded to a query a little bit similar to yours earlier today.

Let me know your itinerary, and I can make some suggestions for travel to places in Switzerland where you can see the ‘real’ Switzerland, not just ‘yet another snowy mountain peak’

Around 90% of Switzerland’s railway routes are scenic. Even fairly urban lines often pass green spaces or even small flocks of sheep in periurban smallholdings! I recommend you do something a bit different ( virtually all discussions on this site are around requests to see high, steep, craggy mountains and snow. Switzerland is a lot more than that). The lower altitude areas have beautiful rural farmland, villages, farm buildings etc, and there are lovely ‘rolling hillside country’ viewing options from most trains all across Switzerland.

The mantra for Switzerland is be flexible – too many visitors to this forum have very fixed itineraries and that can sometimes be stressfully rigid. The beauty of Switzerland is that it has a comprehensive, interconnected system of local, regional and intercity transport, all linked to all the tourists attractions one could wish for.

As such a too rigid itinerary can be unnecessary. On arrival in a specific place, the chances are you will hear about or be told about something that you didn’t know about before, and if your itinerary if too rigid, you wont benefit from the chance to change it.

Glovermicki
    Participant
    17 posts
    5 August 2022 at 15:24:15 #945178

Anna I checked the calendar and I see another event in Ennetburgen. It seems closer but I wonder if it would be as good as the one at Entlebuch.

I would appreciate any input.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2022 at 15:35:34 #945179

Entlebuch is as close to Luzern as is Ennetburgen, both are 30 minutes from Luzern, and Entlebuch is easier to get to as it has frequent trains

Glovermicki
    Participant
    17 posts
    5 August 2022 at 18:17:55 #945180

Appreciate any advice on my itinerary:

14/sept arrive Zurich.. rest up and spend day seeing city

15/sept train to Chur to catch Glacier Express to Zermatt. Spend 2 nights in Zermatt seeing the Matterhorn and suggestions

17/sept train to Montreaux for 2 nights. will see Chillon Castle, Gruyeres, and whatever else suggested

19/sept train to interlaken. Will spend 3 nights in the area maybe staying at Wegen. Plan to see Schlithorn, Lauterbrunner and other suggestions

22/Sept train to Luzern and spend night. Suggestions for sightseeing

23/Sept Go to Mt Titlis and on to Mt Pilatus. Want to stay in hotel Pilatus Kulm. Will store our two carryons at Luzern till we head to Pilatus

24/Sept train to Entlebuch for cattle drive and then continue to Kirchleerau for 2 nights. We are visiting where my ancestors imigrated from in 1857. Have located B&B next to where the house once stood. and will look for Hunzeker family.

26/Sept travel out of Switzerland for rest of trip thru Luxembourg, the Rhine, Paris and Amsterdam

I read your comments to other post regarding Glacier Express so please advise me on that and any other suggestions. This is our first trip away from the US and am hopeful we will manage the trains. We are 67 and were suppose to do this trip in 2020 for our 45th wedding anniversary. My husband survived covid and we are very aware that we should not put off living.

Thank you for your advice.

Anna
    6274 posts
    5 August 2022 at 18:33:17 #945181

Hi Glovermicki,

You have a great itinerary. I’ve included some destination links on your post so you can just click on them for more information. The Glacier Express is the only direct train from Chur to Zermatt and I think this is a wonderful addition to your trip.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2022 at 21:15:50 #945182

That’s great to hear. My Mum and Dad – without whom I would not be a Swiss enthusiast/expert – reached 62 years married but both passed away over the last 2.5 years (not Covid). Sadly my Mum had Alzheimers in her last years and Dad could not take her to Switzerland in their closing years.

The Glacier Express is a great train to use if you include it as a logical, continuous part of an itinerary , and your itinerary is such. A Chur – Zermatt journey covers four of the six ‘top’ sections traversed by the Glacier Express.

Otherwise, your itinerary looks good.

Annika
    7104 posts
    6 August 2022 at 5:44:55 #945183

Hi Glovermicki,

Such a relief that your husband made it through covid. I understand your wish to make this journey now and I hope it will meet all of your expectations. Interesting that you found the former residence of your ancestors!

Your itinerary looks great to me. Try not to worry about managing the trains. The Swiss public transport system is very efficient and easy to navigate. Maybe these practical tips are useful for you: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel.

Have you been looking into railpasses? A 15-day Swiss Travel Pass looks like a good match for your plans. It will help you save money, and it will make traveling even more easy and flexible. You can read about it here: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass. More passes are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 August 2022 at 6:48:48 #945184

Hi 1960man,

I fully agree with you that Switzerland is incredibly beautiful, also in the areas off the beaten path. For many travelers a visit to Switzerland is literally a “once in a lifetime” experience, in which they have a limited timespan to get a glimpse of Switzerland. It’s understandable that they’re looking for easy-to-access highlights and try to make an efficient itinerary in which they can make the most of their time. That’s different for frequent visitors. Any type of itinerary is fine as long as the traveler is happy with it I think.

Glovermicki
    Participant
    17 posts
    6 August 2022 at 16:22:49 #945185

1960 man: wow that is wonderful your parents had 62 years together!

I appreciate the reassurance on itinerary. Suggestions for day trips while in the interlaken area, Montreaux and Zermatt. Not real sure how to best see the Matterhorn and if we really need two nights there. Maybe another night at Montreaux instead. Thanks for your advice

micki

Glovermicki
    Participant
    17 posts
    6 August 2022 at 16:42:59 #945186

Yes we plan to get the 15 day pass and then add the euro pass for rest of trip. I keep practicing looking up train schedules so hopefully I will be ok

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2022 at 23:15:01 #945187

The quickest way to see the Matterhorn is either, simply walk up from Zermatt village centre to a vantage point, or take the train to Gornergrat, as the latter requires only a ride up from the station adjacent to the main station in Zermatt.

A longer stay in Zermatt always increases the chances of seeing the Matterhorn on a clear day. The shorter the time spent in Zermatt the higher the risk of missing the best Matterhorn view due to weather.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 August 2022 at 7:14:30 #945188

Good that you have the railpass issue sorted out. You’ll find trusted purchase options here:

Gornergrat is indeed a one of the best viewing points for the Matterhorn: https://www.myswissalps.com/gornergrat. Sunnegga-Blauherd-Rothorn are good too: https://www.myswissalps.com/sunneggarothorn. And you may like this village walk: https://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/zermatt.

You’ll find our personal recommendation for day trips in the mentioned areas below:

• The thread ‘Cow festivals in Switzerland in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.