Hiking with dog through fields with cows

• Cadeby
    Participant
    15 posts
    5 March 2018 at 17:43:46 #814632

I will be travelling to Switzerland for 3 weeks in late June-mid July with my husband and a dog, which will always be on a lead. We plan to do lots of hiking, mainly in the Berner Oberland and Valais cantons, so I expect to see many cows, presumably with calves at foot.

My question is – do Swiss cows FREE RANGE in the meadows that popular hiking trails pass through, or are they generally contained behind electric fences? I have read about a few fatal cow versus hiker attacks in Switzerland, and since protective female cows and dogs are not a good mix, it helps to be informed.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2018 at 20:06:39 #877833

Hi Cadeby, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

There is usually no electric fence. Cow attacks do happen, but they are quite rare. Often there is a sign warning hikers to steer clear of mother cows and their calves. At least you know that they are in the meadow if you can’t see them yet.

Do not get between a calf and its mother. I also make a little bit of noise so that I don’t surprise the cows and I just walk slowly and calmly and don’t approach them.

Read this web page as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/etiquette.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 March 2018 at 7:14:08 #877834

Hello Cadeby,

You’ll find some guidelines attached. The basic rules are to ignore them (no approaching, no close-by picture taking) and not surprise them. If they approach you it’s often out of curiously. If they lower their head and make sniffing noises they feel threatened and you need to move. I don’t have a dog but I guess it’s best to keep at the greatest possible distance. And always on a lead, even if you see others who ignore that rule. I haven’t had issues with cows apart from one that licked my arm, repeatedly. I guess it liked the sun tan.

Cadeby
    Participant
    15 posts
    18 March 2018 at 16:36:42 #877835

Thanks for your responses. We’ll keep our dog under close control and hopefully stay out of trouble.

I can’t wait to visit, and know this will be the first of many Swiss adventures. I envy you locals !!!

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 March 2018 at 20:57:56 #877836

Please let us know how it went if you can. We have a trip reports section here.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Hiking with dog through fields with cows’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.