Cows in alpine meadows Jungfrau region June 18?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Mikereynolds
Mikereynolds
5 posts
Jun 11, 2019 - 1:08 PM

Hello,

We will be in the Jungfrau region from 18-22 June. Does anyone know if (or when) the cows have been moved to the high alpine meadows? Or areas where they may be during our visit?

Thanks

1960man
1960man
2042 posts
top member
Jun 11, 2019 - 9:45 PM in reply to Mikereynolds

I was in the Berner Oberland (in the Kander valley south of Spiez) in April, and I heard a cocopheny of bells - I looked up onto the hillside opposite and the cows had just been let out of their barn into the field for the first time of the year . Its great fun to watch (I've seen it at Easter before when sitting outside a holiday chalet near Zweisimmen).

So cows will be in fields at least up to 'medium' altitude - say up to 1800m

Sharpl
Sharpl
50 posts
Jun 12, 2019 - 6:57 PM

We are here now. Cows are everywhere!

Mikereynolds
Mikereynolds
5 posts
Jun 12, 2019 - 6:57 PM

What would a trip to the alps be without the cacophony of bells!

Thanks for the input. The mountain web cams still show a lot of snow, so I wasn’t sure if/when the cows would arrive.

Does anyone have input on cows in the Murren/Gimmelwald area in particular?

thanks

mike

Nevertoolate
Nevertoolate
69 posts
Jun 12, 2019 - 10:42 PM

Question for the group: How many kilos of cheese can be produced by 10 Swiss cows during one 4month season in the mountains? (True fact related to me by hut keeper/dairy farmer in Blackenalp)--

(a) 100 kilos

(b) 500 kilos

(c) 1500 kilos

(d) 3500 kilos

Answer to come in following post.

NTL

Drtrupper
Drtrupper
21 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 12:40 PM in reply to Mikereynolds

Mikereynolds - we were in Murren/Gimmelwald last week and there were definitely cows and sheep everywhere. Take the walk from Murren to Gimmelwald or the Lauterbrunnen valley and you’ll find them!

Nevertoolate
Nevertoolate
69 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 1:11 PM in reply to Nevertoolate

3500 kilos.

pvonk
pvonk
209 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 2:09 PM

That’s a little under 4 tons!

now that’s a lot of cheese. Good thing I didn’t die yesterday as I wouldn’t have known that.

Last modified on Jun 13, 2019 - 2:12 PM by pvonk
Nevertoolate
Nevertoolate
69 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 3:58 PM

"Good thing I didn't die yesterday..."--- Thats a great line, pvonk. Mind if I use it?

Yes, that is a lot of cheese, especially for only 10 cows over a few months.

Another Swiss cow-related fact-- the large herds that you encounter roaming free at higher elevations are generally not milk-producing, as it is impractical to round them up once or twice a day for milking. For the most part, they are the young cows that are maturing. Or bulls....

pvonk
pvonk
209 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 4:18 PM in reply to Nevertoolate

Sure, use the line all you want. I first heard it from my Swiss aunt. She had a sense of humor.

LaurelMere
LaurelMere
18 posts
Jun 14, 2019 - 10:18 AM in reply to Drtrupper

Hopefully still there in mid July?

Annika
Annika
6002 posts
expert &
Jun 15, 2019 - 5:30 AM in reply to LaurelMere

Hi LaurelMere! Do you mean whether you'll still see cows up in the meadows mid July? In that case yes, you certainly will!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019