Border control on train Austria - Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Saswilee
Saswilee
2 posts
May 13, 2019 - 12:44 PM

Hi, I am from the Asian Region. I shall be travelling in Austria and will cross over to Switzerland by train from Salzburg to Lucerne. May I know if I have to go through immigration on Switzerland side and if so, how will be the procedure? We are transiting at Zurich station to Lucerne.
Thanks
William

Snowman
Snowman
497 posts
top member
May 13, 2019 - 8:57 PM in reply to Saswilee

Hi William, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It's great to hear that you want to visit Austria and Switzerland! If you arrive first in Austria, you will have passed immigration there, with a visa or without one depending on the requirements for the country that issued you a passport.

Austria and Switzerland both belong to the "Schengen Area", a group of countries that have common immigration rules. If you arrive from Austria by train, immigration control will take place on board. If you are in a normal car, daytime or night time, you may see an official, who may ask to see your passport, or may not ask for it. If you travel in a sleeper car, the attendant will keep your passport for you and deal with the immigration procedure, and normally they will not wake you up. No hassle at all, as you see.

Last modified on May 13, 2019 - 8:58 PM by Snowman
Saswilee
Saswilee
2 posts
May 14, 2019 - 4:42 AM in reply to Snowman

Hi Snowman,
Your informations are greatly appreciated because I was wondering the procedure since I am crossing from an EU country to a non EU country.
And now i understand fully the mutual Schengen Area between them after your explanation.

Danke
William

Steph
Steph
1077 posts
top member &
May 14, 2019 - 4:47 AM in reply to Saswilee

Hello William,

As Snowman says you won't have to expect any major control at the border.

For train tickets from Austria to Switzerland check this link:
- www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/austria

Best,
Steph

Also see:
- www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019