Crossing into Switzerland with Half Fare Card

• Eki75
    Participant
    6 posts
    25 April 2023 at 0:32:41 #829683

I’m planning the Swiss portion of my summer holiday, and I’m a little confused about the train in and out of Switzerland. I’ll be coming from Milan to Zermatt and then departing Lauterbrunnen for Frankfurt. I know SBB tickets don’t go on sale until 60 days before, so I’m a little early to buy them for July. But DB and OBB have tickets available with part of the journey on SBB. The 50% isn’t deducting, though. For example, for a trip from Milan to Brig and then Brig to Zermatt, wouldn’t the Brig to Zermatt leg be eligible for half off? If so, are DB and OBB not deducting the 50% for that leg because I’m booking beyond the 60 days, or does one have to book directly with SBB to get the 50% off… or is it something else I’ve misunderstood. It’s not a huge amount of money, but I just want to make sure I understand the system so that I can proceed correctly.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6378 posts
    25 April 2023 at 7:30:07 #953763

Hi Eki75,

If you have a Swiss Half Fare Card, you can purchase discounted tickets to/from Germany or to/from Italy with the passholder fare.

You can find more details in the following links:

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2023 at 21:27:58 #953764

As you can always stay on trains that cross all Swiss borders as long as you have tickets for the routes you are taking, I suggest you buy tickets separately. You will need as follows:

• Milano – Domodossola: Italian railway ticket
    • Domodossola – Zermatt: Swiss ticket using half fare card
    • Lauterbrunnen – Basel: Swiss ticket using half fare card
    • Basel – Frankfurt: German railway ticket

All the above can be purchased separately

• The thread ‘Crossing into Switzerland with Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.