Crossing the borders with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2020 at 14:18:50 #824947

Hi!

I will be travelling from Paris to Switzerland and to Florence in May. I have just planned out the itinerary and will be buying a Swiss Pass. I will be staying at Malters and Brig in Switzerland. Would appreciate if someone could confirm on whether the followings work for Swiss Travel Pass?

Paris – Basel SBB (separately book train ticket)

Basel SBB to Malters (included in Swiss Travel Pass)

Brig – Domodossola IT (covered under Swiss Travel Pass)

Domodossola IT – Milano Centrale – Firenze S M N (separately book train tickets)

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    MPHKY
    Participant
    1 post
    21 January 2020 at 21:16:14 #928382

Hmmm. We’ll have the STP, and be leaving your beautiful country on day 8. What about Motreaux to Lyon? Change in Geneva? Geneva to Lyon eligible for STP? Thank you.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2020 at 21:19:08 #928383

Nice try but it’s a Swiss Travel Pass. 😉

So validity stops at the border with France in the case you describe. i.e. Geneva, in practical terms.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2020 at 2:32:26 #928384

Sorry to say you would get a funny look (and a request to pay a large sum of Euros) from the French Railways train inspector if you show the Swiss Pass on a Genève – Lyon train (if it’s not strike-affected!)

Basel and Genève work in the same way, ie the French trains run a few km in Switzerland to reach the main station in each case. Therefore, as soon as you leave Basel or Genève heading for France you are in purely French railway territory

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2020 at 6:31:58 #928385

Hi MPHKY,

Swiss Travel Pass is only valid in Switzerland. You can see the validity map of the Swiss Travel Pass at http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. Make sure to download the map and browse the list.

If you are looking for a pass, that is valid in France, Italy and Switzerland, have a look at http://www.myswissalps.com/eurailglobalpass. But make sure to check the validity in Switzerland as it is different than in the case of the Swiss Travel Pass.

• The thread ‘Crossing the borders with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.