Currencies accepted in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2019 at 5:37:27 #824031

We are heading to Switzerland in July next year. I have been talking to my bank about the best way to carry money. They have suggested a Travel Card but it is not available in Swiss Francs. Can Euros be used in Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2019 at 6:50:06 #922889

Hello Hyslop and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Find all information about the Swiss Franc and other currencies in below link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfranc

Euros (paper money/notes) are widely accepted in Switzerland, however, nobody is obliged to take them. You will normally get Swiss Francs back as your change. Additionally you will be able to withdraw Swiss Francs with your Travel Card I assume.

See below thread for more input:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/money-best-way-to-get-cash-and-card-to-use

Hope this helps. Get back to us anytime.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2019 at 11:04:17 #922890

Last year, i was in USA and i got pretty bad/low exchange rates for other intl currencies like Euro and AUD at money exchanges

Does one get reasonable exchange rate for exchanging Euro or USD at exchange companies

Also, are currency exchanges easily available

Thanks

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    30 September 2019 at 13:44:59 #922891

almost all currencies are accepted, however you get a bad exchange rate.

Get Swiss francs at almost any atm in Switzerland with your card.

pvonk
    Participant
    382 posts
    30 September 2019 at 13:55:44 #922892

The easiest and potentially cheapest way to get Swiss francs is by Visa card at an ATM. But beware, some card companies add an extra fee for currency exchange, others do not. For example I have a Visa card that uses very good exchange rate, doesn’t charge a fee, and reimburses me any ATM charges the ATM company adds. So call your bank to find out their policy.

on a related topic… if you use a Visa card, you’ll rarely need cash. If you do charge an item on your card, the little “point-of-sale” machine that everyone uses (even waiters) you will often have a choice of charging in Swiss Francs or your currency (for me, US dollars, but I don’t know what other currencies are used, it may be a matter of the Visa card’s country). Always use Swiss francs. Otherwise the exchange rate used by the machine is expensive. Example: two weeks ago in Luzern I paid for our lunch with my Visa. The machine indicated $147 plus change if I chose US dollars. My wife reminded me to choose Swiss francs which I did. Just this morning I was checking the charges from the trip and found that charge came through at about $141. So don’t let the establishment you’re buying from do the exchange rate, it’ll be higher than you can get from your card. BUT, again, be sure your Visa card bank doesn’t add an extra fee for doing an exchange. Call them about this. before you leave on vacation.

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    30 September 2019 at 14:09:55 #922893

I startet to use Revolute for my international travel, worked fine in India, Sweden, Germany and Switzerland….

you can use my link to subscribe and you and me get some free goodies

revolut.com/referral/l otharpz4!G10D21

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2019 at 5:22:59 #922894

Hi All

People coming from other parts of the world like Asia, Africa, would mostly carry with them USD, if not, then Euros, as these are the 2 currencies which they can buy from their countries money exchange easily, at a better rate and availability is good. Swiss Franc would mostly be an unknown commodity

I was surprised in USA to get worst exchange rates on Euros and AUD.

For this reason, people from these region would carry mostly USD or Euros.

When traveling to the touristy places like Thailand, Turkey, Singapore and even Australia, the exchange rate offered against these major currencies is realistic and good and availability of Exchange companies is good at all major places

Not sure, if Switzerland follows the same pattern for exchanging currencies

Thanks

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    1 October 2019 at 5:32:48 #922895

In Switzerland you can pay cashless on most places.

Cash is accepte din CHF and in Tourist places in EUR. But you get a bad exchange rate, typically 1:1 where the current rate is 1:1.09, so you loose around 9-10% .

Best for cash is to use a credit card and get some CHF cash at local ATMs.

• The thread ‘Currencies accepted in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.