Pay with Swiss francs or Euros in Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 March 2018 at 9:06:56 #878559

What we need is a Royal Commission. Oh, wait . . . . financialservices.roya lcommission.gov.au/Pag es/default.aspx! 🤓

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    14 March 2018 at 9:30:07 #878560

Indeed – the Royal commission has already started its hearings in Melbourne. Please read The Guaridan/au for their daily coverage – the very first day – corrupt deals in NAB. Today – credit card traps.

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    14 March 2018 at 9:30:42 #878561

Oops that was supposed to be The Guardian/au

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 19:59:38 #878562

Thank you Everyon

Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    16 March 2018 at 21:16:16 #878563

ATMs are everywhere and use your bank account to withdraw CHF. We never had any problems getting cash.

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    17 March 2018 at 2:21:48 #878564

Hi Vlasta

The discussion was about fees/charges imposed by banks when using overseas debit cards at local ATMs. For eg if I use my Citibank debit card at citibank ATMs (or partner banks) then I may not face an ATM use charge. Plus most banks charge a foreign conversion fee while withdrawing local currency ie CHF if your original debit card currency is in $ or other currencies.

Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    17 March 2018 at 2:40:40 #878565

Meeraoz,

I find that it is very confusing to try to sort out the credit card/bank fees while traveling internationally. We have gotten to the point that any extra fees are just part of trip expenses, though we do try to be careful to avoid them if possible. I do think the banks are charging more these days. But to be honest, I have been pleasantly surprised when I get my statements upon return home- I always expect the worst but the fees haven’t been bad. Sorry if I misunderstood. I was answering the earlier question about where to to buy CHF. Good luck.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The thread ‘Pay with Swiss francs or Euros in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.