Data plan for a 2 week stay in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 6:39:54 #815319

What would be the best roaming data plan for a 2 week stay in Switzerland? And where would be the best place to purchase it? I will be flying into Zurich and commencing my 2 week trip from there.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 6:48:52 #882228

Hi Gooch,

We have two options we recommend here. The Travelers Wifi HotSpot which is a very convenient option or The Simly (SIM card). Both are explained in detail here: https://www.myswissalps.com/planning/practical/mobile-internet/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 11:34:54 #882229

Thanks Lucas. The Traveler’s Wifi appears to be the perfect solution, especially since it can be shared and has no restrictions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 April 2018 at 14:45:30 #882230

When we used it, it was significantly faster than the wifi in our apartment. So that was great. They also have a version for Europe now, in case you’ll be visiting multiple countries: https://www.myswissalps.com/planning/practical/mobile-internet/

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    15 April 2018 at 6:21:25 #882231

Hi Arno

Thanks for this link to the data device for Europe. It will be useful for me. Am I right in assuming that this is data only that is I will not able to make local phone calls in the countries I am travelling to in Europe except via internet on whats app etc?

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    15 April 2018 at 6:24:55 #882232

Forgot to add – are there any other comparable company offers for Europe please? I hope forum readers are able to help if they are aware of other companies.

For my period of travel for Europe – the quote on this website is 567 swiss francs which is around 760 aussie dollars.

I am not a high end user of internet on my travels except for checking maps and sending short messages on whats app.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper option with less data please?

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 April 2018 at 8:00:36 #882233

Hi Meera,

The TravelersWifi is for people who want the very best in terms of speed, unlimited data and convenience. You can share the wifi with multiple people and you don’t even need to open up your phone to replace your SIM card. So everything including making calls keeps working as usual.

It sounds like the 1 Gb SIM for €35.90 at http://www.simlystore. com/en/buy-prepaid-sim-card/switzerland-prepaid-data-sim-card.html is enough for you. They have a version for multiple countries too. Salt has been mentioned by others but I haven’t tried it.

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    15 April 2018 at 8:04:08 #882234

Thank you so much Arno. I will have a look at this link. I prefer the version for mulitple countries

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 16:35:02 #882235

Hi Meeraoz

If you can get a prepaid simcard from Vodafone UK, their data plan currently works in Switzerland too (currently using 20gb for £30. They have cheaper options for less data). But i’ve only used this in Geneva so not sure about reception in other areas. I am not sure where else you are travelling, but I’ve used the data plan in Netherlands and Belgium too.

My colleague bought prepaid Salt card. 2CHF for unlimited daily data. Seems to work well

• The thread ‘Data plan for a 2 week stay in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.