Davos at Christmas, best train ticket, shops open?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2019 at 23:22:33 #824577

We are arriving in Zurich on December 24th and looking for the best way to get to Davos. There will be 5 adults in our group. Would it be best to get super saver tickets on the train or a standard ticket. I am also looking for recommendations for dinner on Christmas Day. Are restaurants and grocery stores open over Christmas?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2019 at 0:49:06 #925863

Supersaver or Saver Day Pass purchased on line in advance is likely to be the best option, but for 24 Dec they may sell out fast and not be as cheap as if you were going off peak

Davos is a major ski resort – everything will be open as usual on Christmas Day
    http://www.myswissalps.com/da vos

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 December 2019 at 0:58:15 #925864

The problem with Supersaver tickets is that if you are flying in and your flight is delayed and you misss the train then you need to buy full-fare tickets. Supersaver fares are tied to a specific train.

I am a big fan of the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) for checking train, bus, boat and cable way timetables, finding fares* and buying tickets on-line if required. In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B). If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app can also display a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make connections.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2019 at 1:53:40 #925865

Thank you for your replies! We were planning to allow just over three hours between landing and catching the train to Davos. I am hoping this will allow for any unexpected delays. So I think we will book super saver tickets as there is a significant difference in price. Is it beneficial to book first class? Can we reserve seats so we sit together or is it first come first serve?

One other question I have is how many Swiss Francs I should have? We intend to use our credit card for most purchases but I’m sure there will be places we will want or need to have the local currency.

Thank you!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 December 2019 at 2:06:16 #925866

1st Class is an option but I find 2nd Class generally fine. See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/2nd1stcl ass.

Seat reservation on regular trains is very uncommon on Swiss trains. But you can reserve as far as Landquart but not thereafter. I wouldn’t bother.

I usually have about CHF100 is cash when travelling. Depends on your spending habits I guess. You can top up from ATMs if needed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2019 at 2:14:06 #925867

Thank you. I appreciate all the help and the quick replies. I am glad I found this site!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 December 2019 at 2:22:48 #925868

You’re welcome. Enjoy Davos. Should be fun. 😎

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    2 December 2019 at 2:00:54 #925869

Hi LLarson,

Do factor in some flight delay + queues at Immigration upon disembarkation.

After disembarking the plane, we needed to take the sky train to Immigration.

It usually takes us 1hr (that’s in mid September) to clear Immigration. Of course longer if many flights are coming in around the same time.

So for us, about 1.5hrs all in, to get to the train platform. This doesn’t include being stopped at Customs. So far they let us through without checking our bags or questioning us.

On our last trip we bought Super Saver tickets and thankfully we gave ourselves 4.5hrs to catch the train from Zurich HB. The flight was delayed and we arrived 2hrs later than scheduled.

The trains from Zurich airport to Zurich Main station (Zurich HB) run quite often. But it’s the connecting train from Zurich HB that you must not miss. Otherwise there are no refunds at all.

Also check which platforms you are arriving at in Zurich HB. It’s a massive station and if it’s your first time, you will need to orientate yourself so don’t cut it too fine.

As there are several levels at the main station, I did a lot of work to ensure I took the right train from the airport that would arrive on the same level as the level for my connecting train.

I am not sure whether your journey requires any transfers in between. So from personal experience, give yourself ample time so you dont miss any of your trains.

With 5 px, it is substantial with the savings but also a risk since there are no refunds. It’s not so risky if its a direct route without transfers.

I have never travelled to Switzerland around Christmas time. Our past 3 trips were in mid-September. 2nd class is equally comfortable but we chose 1st Class as it was easier to find room for our luggages. Also for more peace & quiet.

But choosing 1st Class means you have more to lose if you miss the trains under your Super Saver.

The biggest risk is the day of arrival in Zurich, due to unforeseen delays. So when I gave ourselves 4.5hrs to catch the train at Zurich HB, it was a relief when I had just enough time to catch the train at Zurich HB main station. Our flight arrival was in the morning.

So I agree with rockoyster about the risks. Hence, if you choose that option, give ample time for flight delay, long immigration Q, orientation at the train station and finding the right platform etc.

All the best!

• The thread ‘Davos at Christmas, best train ticket, shops open?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.