Day hike beginning at Kleine Scheidegg

• jaktara15
    Participant
    2 posts
    3 September 2019 at 18:08:36 #823722

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are going Switzerland for the first time and will be staying in Murren for 5 days at the beginning of October. We will be hiking most days but had questions about a potential day-hike loop across the valley. How does this look as a long day hike?

• Transit from Murren to Kleine Scheidegg in the early morning
    • Hike from Kleine Scheidegg to Eigerletscher (Thematic Trail ?)
    • Hike from Eigerletscher to Alpiglen (Eiger Trail)
    • Hike from Alpiglen to Männlichen (Romantic Trail)
    • Walk to the top of Männlichen (Royal Walk)
    • Hike from Männlichen back to Kleine Schiedegg (Panoramic Trail)
    • Transit back to Murren (final departure at 18:30).

I figured this route to cover just over 20km which corresponds well to the length of hikes we like to do in the States. For my specific questions…

1. Is this a reasonable route to cover during daylight and still have time to “soak it in” and not feel rushed?
    2. Is this the correct direction to travel ( counter clock-wise if thinking of it as a loop)? By “correct direction” I’m more concerned with views rather than ascent vs descent.
    3. What is the availability of drinking water along the way?

Thank you all so much in advance,

J&K

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Virgingorda
    Participant
    58 posts
    4 September 2019 at 9:59:39 #921606

It seems OK, but the view would be predominantly of the Eiger in this loop. The Eiger North Face would be more lit up by sunlight in the afternoon if you could time it like that. I’d suggest from KS, you hike down the direction to Wengen to a small lake. You’ll have the Eiger, Monch, Jungfrau all lined up and in your face with cows in the foreground. Perfect shot of Swiss Alpine landscape! I thought it’s the best view.

I think you may be able to save some money on transport by starting at Mannlichen and hike toward KS and do your loop back to KS (skipping Mannlichen portion on the way back of course). If there’s time left, do the portion I mentioned above. You could keep on going to WengenAlp and take another train back to Wengen. We hiked all the way down to Wengen, and I didn’t think it was too worth it given it’s mostly forest and quite steep in some areas.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 September 2019 at 16:46:50 #921607

Hi Jaktara15 –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

That can be a very nice time to hike in the Jungfrau area. I hope that you have clear weather.

Virgingorda said:

<<“You could keep on going to WengenAlp and take another train back to

Wengen. We hiked all the way down to Wengen, and I didn’t think it was

too worth it given it’s mostly forest and quite steep in some areas.”>>

That matches my experience, quit a few years ago. It is Wengernalp, not WengenAlp

Length-

You have put together a substantial hike. Not sure where you have done your hiking in the USA, but a lot of what you have suggested is at 2000 meters and above, with significant elevation changes.

This map can give you more details of the topography and the trails:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.sw isstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2637953.1 2&N=1163444.68&zoom=5

Color-coding of trails:

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /wanderland/more-wl/hiking-trail-network-and-signalization.html

At least one National Route passes through the area:

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /wanderland/routes/nat ional-routes/route-01.html

Selected routes are covered in extensive detail on the Switzerland Mobility web site. Follow the links under the example above, and you can get height profiles for each stage. That is one choice on this page:

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /wanderland/routes/nat ional-routes/route/etappe-01560.html

My personal strongly held opinion, supported by many, [even Rick Steves ( if that matters) ;-)] is that the walk between Männlichen and Kleine Scheidegg, which you refer to in one of your bullets must be done in the direction from Männlichen to KS for maximum impact. Especially if you are aware of the history of the North Face of the Eiger, there is a substantial psychological effect as you walk toward it and it grows up and towers over you.

I’ve added a detailed crop ( taken when shot film) showing hikers, who may possibly just be visible in the North Face image. When the North Face image is printed large at high resolution, as it is on the wall at my home, seeing those hikers lets you realize the immensity of the Eiger.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Eiger

And, whatever grandiose name has been given that trail, my Swiss friends call it “The Grannies’ Walk.” It is easy. And, it is surely the one of the better or perhaps of the best scenic trails, and which happens to be easy. Some images attached.

Serious walkers/hikers in the area like this next demanding hike. Not as much distance, but still a full day’s hike. A forum member,. Mark, has provided numerous posts detailing the reasons. Search for them.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/first-schynigeplatte

Most hikers prefer the other direction, from SP to First.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/first-to-schynigge-platte-or-the-other-way-around

Slowpoke

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    4 September 2019 at 17:42:12 #921608

Hi J&K

I have done all those hikes just not on the same day. I think the directions you have picked are the exact ones I would have suggested. I think it a especially important to be sure you hike in the direction from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg and Kleine Scheidegg to Eigergletscher. If the weather cooperates the loop you have planned will have spectacular views but it will be a full day of hiking with about 3000 ft of ascent and the same amount of descent.

If you decide to do the Schynige Platte to First hike be sure to take the Panaramaweg leg at the start from SP. it is a beautiful ridge line trail with lakes on one side and mountains on the other. It is much prettier than the standard trail down the middle of the plateau. Also a stop at Oberberghorn is well worth the short side trip up to the lookout.

Enjoy the great hiking in the Jungfrau area.

Mark

jaktara15
    Participant
    2 posts
    6 September 2019 at 3:21:30 #921609

@Virgingorda

Thanks for the suggestion to Wengeralp! We will consider that – especially if we are ahead of schedule.

@Slowpoke

Wow! Thank you for all these amazing resources! We have looked into hikes originating at both Schynigge Platte and First, but have further planning yet to do. I see many recommendations for hiking First – Bachalpsee Lake.

@Mark

Fantastic information. We are hoping that during our 5 days we have at least one picture-perfect day for this loop. We will definitely consider also doing SP to First with Panaramaweg if the weather cooperates!

Thanks,

J&K

• The thread ‘Day hike beginning at Kleine Scheidegg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.