Day and hut to hut hikes near Interlaken end Sept?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2019 at 15:52:10 #823769

Hello all,

My friend and I will be in the Interlaken region for 3-5 days. We are pretty experienced hikers and looking to do a few fun day hikes and one longer hike staying 1-2 nights in SAC huts. Any suggestions? We’ll be there September 20-24 and I know many SAC huts are closed by then, so I’m open to other suggestions! We’re also two recent college grads, so we’re hoping to be as cheap as possible – I know that’s a challenge in Switzerland.

Any advice at all would be appreciated. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    7 September 2019 at 19:26:15 #921869

Hello Sarah, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Let me mention only the places I know of. There are many others.

Berghaus Alpiglen is on the Eiger Trail, between Kleine Scheidegg and Grindelwald. It is a mountain guest house, not a Swiss Alpine Club (SAC) hut. For budget hikers there is a group dorm called Massenlager. If you happen to be there in the night Sep. 22-23 (Sun-Mon), look for me in a group of French-speaking retired engineers!

Berghaus Männdlenen is on the trail between Schynige Platte and First, before Faulhorn. It is a mountain hut, just not belonging to SAC.

Both places are on nice trails, the Eiger trail is easy but with a spectacular view on the Eiger North Face. Schynigge Platte to First is more challenging. There is also accommodation at First. They should be open at the time of your visit, but it would be wise to book. Google will easily give you their URLs.

Enjoy your trip!

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    8 September 2019 at 22:46:10 #921870

Hi Sarah.

As you noted, the end of September is a bit of an awkward time, but the Gleckstein, Rotstock and Gspaltenhorn huts are open until the end of September. The Gleckstein is a popular destination for both day and overnight trippers coming from Grindelwald and you would probably have to book ahead if you wanted to stay overnight. I’ve been past the Rotstock, but haven’t stayed there, but it is a good starting point if you want to cross the Sefinenfurrge Pass into the Kiental Valley down to Griesalp. That is a lovely hike – in good weather. Altenatively, after you cross the Sefinnenfurgge, instead of going straight to Griesalp you can hike to the Gspaltenhornhütte first. Again, I haven’t stayed there ( I got snowed out and had to drop down to the valley), but it is very popular and you would definitely have to book a place. You can start in Mürren and skip the Rotstock, but it makes for a longer day. I saw a recomendation recently that said it was advisable to cross the Sefinnen from east to west, but I did it the other way with no problems.

These hikes are all of a higher grade of difficulty than the day trippers do. There is an appreciable increase in risk and you have to be sure footed on some of the tracks. Don’t expect safety rails – the best you will get are cables bolted to the rockface on the most exposed sections. All these ideas are completely weather dependent. The trails are well sign posted with way markers painted on rocks on the higher stretches, but in any case I suggest you take a map and compass as well as a pocket altimeter which is more useful if the weather closes in.

Have a look at the hut websites;

http://www.gleckstein.ch/

http://www.rotstockhuette.ch/

http://www.sac-cas.ch/en/huts-and-tours/sac-route-portal/2147000127/

Have fun

Alan

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 September 2019 at 1:20:03 #921871

Nice to have knowledgeable comments, from experienced hikers.

Slowpoke

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    9 September 2019 at 7:22:10 #921872

Thanks SlowPoke.

I just read my own post back and realized I made a mistake. Current advice suggests crossing the Sefinnenfurge from West to East and I did it East to West which is the opposite of what I wrote above. Old age man!

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2019 at 18:59:30 #921873

Thank you for your advice! It is much appreciated.

• The thread ‘Day and hut to hut hikes near Interlaken end Sept?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.