Day long scenic route from Grindelwald to Zurich

• chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    16 April 2018 at 16:48:54 #815368

Hi,

After our trip ends in Grindelwald, we take the train to Spiez – Milan via Kandersteg. My brother will not be joining us in Italy, and will head to Zurich to catch a 9pm return flight. We will all have Saver Day Passes + SHFC for that day.

If he comes till Brig or Kandersteg with us (or anywhere along the route), is there any scenic journey he can take to see a different part of Switzerland (we will be covering Luzern-Interlaken on the first day) and still make it to Zurich in time? We will be taking the morning 8am train from Spiez (lotschberger_express).

Does this even make sense, or is it just wiser for him to take the simpler route to Zurich and spend the day in the area?

Thanks! Chandni

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 6:15:08 #882462

Hi Chandni,

If your brother joins you in Italy, I don’t understand how he can come with you to Brig. You’re both traveling opposite directions.

I believe that the most scenic route your brother can take is the Bernina Express route: Milan – Tirano – Chur – Zurich. You can use the Swiss rails timetable to plan the trip.

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    17 April 2018 at 13:22:43 #882463

Sorry if my post was confusing. To clarify, from Spiez,

a) Group travels Spiez-Brig-Domodossola-Milan-Rome.

b) Brother needs to head to Zurich. (NOT going to Italy).

After looking at the map yesterday, and taking into account your post, I see 2 viable options.

1. Brother travels Spiez to Milan with us. Takes the Bernina Express route back up to Zurich. (I had already booked his tickets till Milan, so the trip is paid for anyway)

2. He gets off at Brig, takes Glacier Express/regional train Brig-Andermatt, then Gotthard route till Flüelen, and up to Zurich.

Do these seem reasonable? Anyone better over the other? I hope this was clearer.

Chandni

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 14:10:47 #882464

Thanks for the clarification Chandni.

Both trips are great. I was having a hard time myself this week. i couldn’t decide whether I wanted to do the Gotthard Panorama Express or the Bernina Express. I’ve chosen the first one as I want to include the boat trip as well, which I think will be beautiful late May.

Whatever you or your brother decide, you can’t go wrong. Enjoy the scenery.

• The thread ‘Day long scenic route from Grindelwald to Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.