Day on Lake Thun – timetable help

• autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    28 January 2018 at 19:35:33 #814185

Hello,

I am still planning out the details of our day in Thun (July). Using SBB timetable (can’t see boat cruises), and other posted boat cruise time tables (linked in previous post), I cannot see a connection from Oberhofen (Castle) to St. Beatus Caves. Can you help me so I can plan how much time to spend in each area around the lake?

I was thinking of 9:03 train to Spiez (From Wengen). Visit Spiez. Take 12:22 Train to Thun (12:32). Take Boat 12:40 to Oberhofen and explore that area 1-3. Then, I am looking at times to get from Oberhofen to the Caves. Thinking I may skip Spiez and head straight to Thun, to explore here instead. I do want to do a lake thun boat cruise, should I do the boat to Thun instead and then trains from place to place after?

Thanks for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 20:23:31 #875340

Hi Autumnz,

You can use the SBB timetable – the stops you want can be found via Google Map (just for future use). Oberhofen am Thunersee to Beatushöhlen-Sundlauenen. Then a quick bus to the caves.

If you click advanced search on the timetable you can de-select all forms of transport except boat to force the timetable to show you the connection (otherwise it defaults to bus which is the quickest option).

autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    28 January 2018 at 20:54:38 #875341

Got It! Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 1:00:18 #875342

Hello autumnz

You need to go to http://www.bls.ch and download the pdf timetable for boats on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. Be sure to read the summer schedule.

You are trying to fit a lot into one day so will need to check how the boats will fit into your plans. I have used the timetable to create 2 or 3 possible itineraries for you but obviously you can create your own.

1. Aim to catch first boat from Thun at 9.40. Leave Wengen at 7.33, arrive Thun at 9.03. The 8.03 from Wengen gets you to Thun at 9.32 – a bit tight to get from train to boat I’m afraid. (If you did try that and missed boat you could catch no 21 bus instead.) Boat reaches Oberhofen at 10.03. Castle doesn’t open till 11 AM. so explore the gardens first.It then depends how engrossed you get in the castle! Boats leave Oberhofen at 12.03 and 13.03, arriving at Beatushohlen Sundlauenen at 13.17 and 14.17. If you take the earlier one you could stop for an hour’s stroll in Spiez (no time for castle visit though) and pick up the second one (1st arrives Spiez at 12.28 and 2nd leaves at 13.28.) After the caves there are boats to Interlaken at 15.17 and 17.17 (arrive Interlaken 15.49 and 17.49.

2. Follow your original plan but there should be train to Thun from Spiez half an hour earlier which would make it easier to connect with 12.40 boat. (arrives Oberhofen at 13.03 – not much time to spend in Oberhofen though and there isn’t a 15.03 boat. so you would need to leave Oberhofen on the 14.03 boat, arrive Beatushohlen at 15.17 for visit to caves. You could catch no 21 bus from Oberhofen to caves instead. There is then the 17.17 boat back to Interlaken but if caves take too long there are plenty of buses (no 21) back to Interlaken.

3. Compromise – get to Spiez earlier or spend less time there and aim to get 11.40 boat to Oberhofen. Arrive 12.03, leave for caves at 14.03.

4. Trying to do trip in opposite direction is tricky because first boat from Interlaken doesn’t leave till 11.10 a.m. , arriving at Beatushohlen at 11.43 for caves. Boats from there to Spiez are at 12.43 and 14.43 – not best timings so I would get a bus from Interlaken to the caves so you can catch 12.43 boat. That will arrive in Spiez at 13.32. You can get off there if you wish for 2 hours or stay on board to Oberhofen – arrive 13.57 giving you time to visit castle and gardens. Next boat leaving Spiez is at 15.34 so not arriving in Oberhofen till 15.57 which may be too late for last entry to castle though you could explore gardens. So you would have to choose between Spiez and Oberhofen. There is a boat going to Thun from Spiez at 16.34 as well. Getting back from Thun is easy enough – choose between train via Spiez or bus 21 all along north shore – a nice ride.

Food – take a picnic! Or eat on a boat – nice snacks. If time in Oberhofen can recommend café on main road – tea room Berger – excellent food though service is sometimes a bit slow because they cook as you order – lovely omelettes!

Word of warning – Monday not a good day for castles and museums – Oberhofen not open on Mondays!

Maggie

Ps Post number 500!!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 January 2018 at 2:22:03 #875343

👏 👏 👏

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 4:04:47 #875344

>> Ps Post number 500!!

Congratulations Maggie! Looking forward to the next 500 🙂

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2018 at 18:05:39 #875345

Thanks Rockoyster and Alpenrose!

You two have gone charging way past me though!

Maggie

autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    1 February 2018 at 18:25:26 #875346

Sidenote:

I read somewhere that the train runs the same as the lake, so taking the train gives you the same view, but with less time. Is this true for Lake Thun? Or, is a boat cruise suggested over train?

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 February 2018 at 18:38:07 #875347

Hi Autumnz,

The view from Interlaken West to Spiez is quite nice from the train, but there are some tunnels and places where the view is blocked. You don’t see much of the lake between Spiez and Thun. I wouldn’t consider a train ride a true alternative to a boat ride. Indeed it’s a lot quicker – too quick to see it all 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2018 at 0:45:26 #875348

>> I read somewhere that the train runs the same as the lake, so taking the train gives you the same view, but with less time. Is this true for Lake Thun? Or, is a boat cruise suggested over train?

I agree wholeheartedly with Arno, that a lake cruise cannot be compared with travelling along the shoreline in a train.

First of all, from a boat, you have uninterrupted 360 degree views, and can move around the boat to see it all as you glide by.

From a train, you have views towards the far side of the lake only, and can’t appreciate the setting of the lake in its entirety. You will also have to contend with reflections on the windows if you want to take photos. If you are travelling in July, which is high season, you won’t necessarily even have a window seat on the train. As well as the tunnels Arno mentioned, buildings and trees will also be between you and the lake on many occasions, which can also make it harder to get a good photo.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Day on Lake Thun – timetable help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.