Day pass and Swiss Half Fare Card for last day?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 17:02:57 #816115

Hi There!

We are a family of 2 adults and a 15 yr old and will be travelling to Switzerland in June.

I am planning to buy 4 day swiss travel pass as the first full 4 days we will be covering a lot by trains/boats /other local transport.

day 1. Zurich to Chur to Tirano (BEX) and then back to Montreux

day 2. Montreux to Geneva , in and around Montreux

day 3. Monreux to Interlaken ost via Gstaad/ Gruyere and then to Wengen.

day 4. In and around Wengen- (Lauterbrunnen , Gimmelwald, Mürren etc)

5th day plan is to travel to Zurich. Likely to spend time in old town area, Lindenhof Square and lake zurich, then back to hotel which will be near the airport. And 6th day is just an early am trip from hotel to the airport.

My question is two fold.

1. Am I better off buying 8 day Swiss pass- that would be 1136 or buy day passes for the last 2 days.

2. I am lost about day pass and half fare card. Day pass seems to cost around 70CHF per person. What is half fare card, is it to be purchased in addition to day pass? Also will a day pass cover Wengen to Zurich and Zurich central and airport?

STP price I understand is standard. Will the price of day pass change as I get closer to the day of travel? I am looking at early June.

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 19:19:31 #885888

Hi Liza and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. You last 2 days don’t have much travel by the sounds of it (just around Zurich which is quite walk-ableand then to the airport). For day passes I think you mean the Saver Day Pass? This would be overkill for those 2 days – a local Zurich day pass would be more than sufficient and then a one-way ticket may or may not be needed for the airport (your airport hotel may have a shuttle.
    2. Again the Swiss Half Fare Card is overkill (120chf) to get 50% off tickets around Zurich
    3. The Saver Day price does change as you get closer to the travel date yes – but it isn’t the product you want in this case for day 6.
    Annika
    7104 posts
    20 May 2018 at 19:19:46 #885889

Hi Liza, thank you for joining MySwissAlps! As for your question:

1. No, I don’t think an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass is worth it since you won’t be traveling that much on day 5 and especially day 6. A 4 day Swiss Travel Pass seems to be the better solution.

2. You’re probably referring to the 1-day travelpass. It serves as an add-on to the Swiss Half Fare Card. It’s all explained at myswissalps.com/oneday travelpass. This combination isn’t suitable for your 5th day. There’s also a Saver Day Pass. If you manage to buy it well in advance, you may find prices as low as CHF 52. Explanation can be found at myswissalps.com/oneday travelpass/details. This could be a good solution for the transfer Wengen-Zurich on day 5.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 19:52:42 #885890

Thank you Lucas and Annika.

I am still lost, appreciate if you can elaborate a bit.

1. Lucas, I think you are suggesting local Zurich day pass. Will it cover my transfer from BO area (probably from Wengen/Murren) to Zurich as well? And I will not have to buy a half fare card?

2. Annika, I clicked on link, however do not see the saver pass to purchase. How do I go about purchasing. My travel dates would be 12th and 13 th June so I am late in the game.

3. Honestly , the half fare card is very confusing for me. As an example : do I buy 2 half fare cards (120*2= 240 chf) + a family card (0 chf) + SBB site amount for each travel(Interlaken ost- zurich) to get to zurich?

4. The link says you can only use 1 day pass if you have a half fair card. meaning 240+ (70*2 adult)?

5. And saver day pass I am unable to find if it works on its own, and if so what is the price for adult and kid and what area it covers.

Please help.

Thank you much!

Liza

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 20:20:49 #885891

I see in SBB site,

2× Saver Day Pass 2nd class Open tip Valid: Tue, 12.06.2018 until Wed, 13.06.2018 05:00 CHF 104.00

1× Saver Day Pass, child 6-16 2nd class Valid: Tue, 12.06.2018 until Wed, 13.06.2018 05:00 CHF 49.00

Total price CHF 153.00

will this work for BO to Zurich and in and around Zurich?

Or there is a better option.

thank you!!

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 May 2018 at 12:50:46 #885892

Hi Liza!

1. As explained a Swiss Half Fare Card isn’t worth it for day 5 and 6. You can read about pass options for traveling in and near Zurich at myswissalps.com/zurich /travel.

2. The Saver Day Pass is currently only for sale through the SBB, as far as I know. You’ll find a link under “More on other websites” at myswissalps.com/oneday travelpass/details.

3. You shouldn’t buy Swiss Half Fare Cards, they’re too expensive for your plans.

4. Yes, a 1-day travelpass can only be used with a Swiss Half Fare Card. This is not the combination you need. Saver Day Passes may work out better.

5. Saver Day Passes can be used without Swiss Half Fare Cards. Prices vary, as explained at myswissalps.com/oneday travelpass/details. Validity is explained at myswissalps.com/oneday travelpass/validity and under the header “Saver Day Pass restrictions” at myswissalps.com/oneday travelpass/details. The adult rates you’ve found are favorable, as regular tickets Wengen-Zurich would cost CHF 84,40 per person. The rate for your 15 year old isn’t economical though. You’d better get him or her a Junior Travelcard for CHF 30: myswissalps.com/junior travelcard.

I hopes this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 17:04:21 #885893

Thank you very much Annika! It clears things up.

So I can buy two savor day passes valid for specific date for the two adults and a junior travel card from SBB . The combination of parents holding saver day and son holding Junior should work I believe?

Thank you!

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 May 2018 at 18:22:05 #885894

Hi Liza, glad it’s all clear now. Yes, the combination of Saver Day Passes and the Junior Travelcard for your son should work!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 1:37:25 #885895

I have purchased the savor day passes for us two adults. About our 15 yr old child- will a 1 day travel pass for child 16 CHF work in conjunction with our savor day pass? Thank you much!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 8:56:07 #885896

Hi Liza,

That may work for you just for that one day yes – If your child is covered on the previous days with a Swiss Family Card. I’d confirm at a station at time of purchase that that combination works.

Otherwise grab the Junior Travel Card.

🙂

• The thread ‘Day pass and Swiss Half Fare Card for last day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.