Saver Day Pass – confusion on coverage area

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 15:21:31 #816410

Hi I’m confused about the day saver pass for this trip.

eg when I use the SBB mobile I see an option saver day pass $52.

I want to travel these routes on that day.

Can I check my understanding of the trip?

a) I have to buy the day pass beforehand. What’s the easiest way to do that?

b) all the following rail and gondola are covered Foc and I don’t need to purchase any ticket?

Bern/Lauterbrunnen

Schilthorn/ Murren

Murren/ Grutschalp

Grutschalp/ Lauterbrunnen

lauterbrunnen/ interlaken

interlaken/ Bern

and I get a 50% discount on Stechelberg / Schilthorn (50%)

Where do I pay for this ticket?

thanks so much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 June 2018 at 16:20:15 #887196

Hi Hismuz012, welcome to MySwissAlps!

a) You can only buy it online at the domestic SBB site at the moment. You’ll find details about the pass and links here: http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details

b) Schilthorn is not included nor discounted, unless you also have a Swiss Half Fare Card. The rest is included.

The Saver Day Pass is designed for town to town trips by train, not for excursions to peaks by cable cars, etc. You will need to buy it well in advance to get it for the best price, so unfortunately you can’t know if the weather is ok for a trip to the Schilthorn. What are your other plans in Switzerland? There might be better options than a Saver Day Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 16:39:45 #887197

thank you.

Actually, the website says that there’s 50% to schilthorn.

Cable car from Mürren to Schilthorn: 50% off

http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/validit y

is this still valid?

you’re right about the weather. guess i’m better off with the half fare card then?

the rest of my trips are mainly < eur 50 per day on full fare. over a period of 14 days.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 19:12:51 #887198

Hi Hismuzo12

That link you posted is for the 1 day travel pass with the Swiss Half Fare Card. With the Swiss Half fare Card you get 50% off all trips. Just the Swiss Half Fare Card may be what is best for your itinerary, BUT

To know which pass (if any) is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 22:16:25 #887199

Thank you. The resources were very useful. I was just confused about the day saver pass.

can I ask your advice on the fare saver? Will it be very inconvenient? Or can I just purchase via the app when I’m on the train?

also what happens if I miss the connection? Do I have to rebook and pay for the ticket again?

thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 5:46:03 #887200

Are you now talking about the Super Saver tickets? Marked with the % sign on the timetable?
    Those can be bought with the app yes. If you miss the train you must buy a new ticket though.

With regular tickets you can travel anytime that day (even though you select a time when you buy it).

https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/discount s

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 June 2018 at 6:18:09 #887201

Hi Hismuz012,

If you’re in Switzerland for 14 days I’d seriously consider the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass. That’s so much more convenient. No hassle with advance bookings or specific trains to take. You can hop on and off all trains, boats, buses, trams. Mountain trips will be discounted like with the Swiss Half Fare Card, but there are some interesting exceptions such as Schilthorn being completely free. Also most museums are free.

You’ll find all the details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 15:31:43 #887202

Thank you Lucas. I’m referring to this one. http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard

hi Arno, thank you but most of my days the cost is les than 40 chf somits more ex to buy the saver I think.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 June 2018 at 15:53:57 #887203

Sure, if there is a cheaper option then go for it! I highly recommend doing the math, based on all of your transfers, day trips (cable cars, boats, etc.) and museum visits. Lucas’s link has all the details. Then it’s probably the Swiss Half Fare Card which works out best for you; the Swiss Travel Pass is around CHF 34 per day.

Either way you’ll enjoy the trains!

• The thread ‘Saver Day Pass – confusion on coverage area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.