Day saver rail pass between Zermatt and Basel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2017 at 15:21:26 #813596

Hello, I have found the information on Switzerland rail passes and tickets etc very overwhelming and really want to check before I buy the tickets. I found great value with the day saver pass but I am not sure if all the travel will be without extra charge when Travelling from Zermatt to Basel. I have had a look at the map covered by GA but there’s just so much information. Please could you help me with this.

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2017 at 16:36:53 #871451

Hi Travelbugg and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Is this the one-day travel pass you are looking at? You must also have a Swiss Half Fare Card as well for it to be valid.

Yes, the one-day travel pass will cover your trip from Zermatt to Basel (the red lines on the map indicate train routes that are free and you can follow a red line between the two towns).

Depending on how long you are in Switzerland you may find a Swiss Travel Pass of good value as well (can be bought for 3, 4, 8 or 15 consecutive days). You can also buy the more expensive Swiss Travel Pass Flex where you pick the dates it is valid for).

Check out our page on How to Choose the Best Rail Pass for more help on choosing rail passes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2017 at 16:54:23 #871452

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your response.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/saver-day-pass.html

This is the pass I am referring to.

It says you don’t need to have a half fare travel card. When I go to order it you have the option of putting no reductions. I was just worried if I would be covered for the whole trip from Zermatt to Basel.

Thanks again

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 November 2017 at 22:13:00 #871453

Hi Travelbugg,

You are right. It’s a new deal. It will cover full journey Zermatt to Bern (see validity map http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /sbb/de/pdf/abos-billette/abonnemente/g a/karte-geltungsbereich-ga-halbtax-stand-dezember2016_d_barrier efrei.pdf) and at CHF 52 is a great saving on regular full fare of CHF 122. Go for it.

Only downside is that you need Half-fare Card to get discount on the dotted(as opposed to dashed) line routes. But that doesn’t affect you. Dashed lines are tunnels.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 November 2017 at 1:55:29 #871454

Looks like you have to purchase around 10 days prior to travel in order to get the lowest price of CHF52 (without Half-fare Card). By comparison if you wanted to travel tomorrow you’d have to pay CHF106!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2017 at 2:02:36 #871455

Thank you so so much rockoyster . I’m not traveling till the end of the month so this works out perfectly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2017 at 6:24:30 #871456

Yes, that is a new product that can work without the Swiss Half Fare Card.

It has dynamic pricing so keep an eye on it…the price can go up or down depending on demand.

• The thread ‘Day saver rail pass between Zermatt and Basel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.