Day trip boat cruise Lake Lucerne and Mt. Rigi

• autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    7 January 2018 at 18:14:24 #813965

Thank you for your help so far!

I would like to spend a day combining a boat cruise on Lake Lucerne with a trip to Mt. Rigi. Originally, I was going to cruise to Brunnen or Fluren and take the train back to Lucerne. But now, I am thinking cruise to Vitsnu and take the cogwheel train to Mt. Rigi. Visit the top, maybe some easy walking trails. Then, back to Lucerne. I think this is all covered with Swiss Travel pass too (?).

In my research, I found a note that stated that the cogwheel trains are timed with the trains. But, using the SBB timetable, It seems there is about a 40 min gap when I put Vitsnu to Mt. Rigi- maybe this is not the cogwheel, but a different train?

Can you advise on the best transportation to get to Rigi and then back to Lucerne? Are there any nice spots to stop and walk/hike along the way?

All suggestions on a nice day exploring the Lake is much appreciated. It will be a Monday in July, and our first day after arrival.

Thank You,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 January 2018 at 20:26:04 #873754

G’day autumnz

Read all about Rigi here http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi.

There is only the cogwheel up and down or the Cable car to Weggis. The boat arrives, you walk only 30 meters and hop on the train.

You can go up from Vitznau and down the other side to Arth-Goldhau and back to Lucerne by train. I did the reverse.

All covered by Swiss Travel Pass.

For hiking see http://www.rigi.ch/en/Experie nce-Enjoy/Summer/Hiking/Ri gi-hiking-trails

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 January 2018 at 20:33:16 #873755

The paddle-wheel steamer ride to Flüelen is wonderful.

In a day you could do that, train back to Arth-Goldhau, up to Rigi Kulm, down to Weggis or Vitznau and boat back to Lucerne.

But if you like hiking maybe relaxing on a boat is not your thing?

autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    7 January 2018 at 22:36:42 #873756

I use the term “hiking” very loosely. We don’t mind a nice stroll looking at the scenery. 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 January 2018 at 23:44:22 #873757

My kind of hiking! 😎

By the way I think the the steamer trip is perhaps better from Flüelen than the other way round in summer. The sun is not in you eyes travelling north to Brunnen.

So consider train to Flüelen, steamer back to Vitznau, cog wheel up Rigi, Cable car down to Weggis, boat back to Lucerne. That would make a nice round trip if the weather is good. You may even want to try the walk down from Rigi Kulm to Rigi Kaltbad (although I’m not sure how long that is at least it is downhill).

• The thread ‘Day trip boat cruise Lake Lucerne and Mt. Rigi’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.