Day tour from Zurich to Lucerne/Mt.Pilatus

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 4:18:14 #816342

Hello,

I am going to be in Zurich in june and I really want to go visit Mt.Pilatus. I’ve been looking at tours from Zurich and they are good. However, they don’t consider people who have the Swiss travel pass and Mt.Pilatus is, somewhat, included as there are things that are free with the swiss travel pass and others that are 50% off.

I would like to know if there’s a tour that includes the swiss travel pass from Zurich or it would be better if I did everything on my own; I go to lucerne for the day and visit the Mt.Pilatus?

Thank you very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 6:40:34 #886894

Hi inataalie,

>> I would like to know if there’s a tour that includes the swiss travel pass from Zurich or it would be better if I did everything on my own; I go to lucerne for the day and visit the Mt.Pilatus?

As you have a Swiss Travel Pass, visiting Pilatus on your own would be most cost effective.

There is information here to help you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/gettingthere

If you are happy to get to Alpnachstad (for the cogwheel train) by train instead of boat, simply do a timetable search From Zürich To Pilatus Kulm via Alpnachstad.

Should you want to include the boat, the first few boats leave Luzern for Alpnachstad at 8:38 (arriving 9:25), 9:38 (arriving 10:46), 10:38 (arriving 12:10) and 11:50 (arrving 12:50). So time your train trip from Zürich to connect with one of those boats at Luzern. The wharf is just outside Luzern station, and you can walk there in just a few minutes.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 8:49:25 #886895

Yes, if you’ve already bought the Swiss Travel Pass (STP) you won’t want a guided tour (is that what you meant?) as you are paying again for the transportation.

You can buy tickets for Pilatus for unguided trips with the Swiss Travel Pass discount here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/pilatus/packages but I haven’t come across guided tours with the STP discount.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 3:46:51 #886896

I read somewhere else that it may be less crowded if we take the cable car up and the cogwheel down and end with the boat back to Lucerne. Is this true and do you recommend it or not? Thanks for your insight!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 8:50:23 #886897

Hi Busybee, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> I read somewhere else that it may be less crowded if we take the cable car up and the cogwheel down and end with the boat back to Lucerne. Is this true and do you recommend it or not?

Yes, that could well be true. Most people probably start the round trip on the boat or at Alpnachstad. What time of year are you travelling?

I particularly like the steep climb in the cogwheel train though.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 0:52:53 #886898

Thank you Alpenrose. We will be there in a week. We are hoping to visit Mt P on Sunday 17 June.

Looking forward to our time in Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 2:18:55 #886899

>> We are hoping to visit Mt P on Sunday 17 June.

So, you will be there on a weekend as the tourist season is getting into full swing! It could well be very busy, especially if the weather is also lovely.

As well as considering starting at Kriens, another idea would be to get the train to Alpnachstad instead of the boat, and time your arrival to be between boat arrivals. That way you don’t have to contend with a crowd of people all arriving at the same time.

I haven’t taken the boat to Alpnachstad myself, just been that way on the train many times. I get the impression that the Luzern-Alpnachstad boat trip would not be as scenic as those on the main part of the lake.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Day tour from Zurich to Lucerne/Mt.Pilatus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.