>> I just bought a 4 day SwissPass and have a free place to stay in Klosters.
You may already know that the mountain transport in Davos and Klosters is not covered with your Swiss Travel Pass. Local mountain transport is free in summer with a guest card, but if you aren't staying in commercial accommodation (and paying the tourist tax) you won't get the guest card.
>> Can anyone suggest any good day trips we could do out of Klosters.
In the absence of any information about what time of year you are travelling, I will assume you are travelling in summer. Some options are not available in winter, or in the off-season (roughly early April to late June and late October to mid-December).
Here are some ideas:
FREE WITH SWISS TRAVEL PASS
- Beautiful typical/traditional Engadin village
- Train to Guarda, bus to Guarda, cumün - travel time 44 min
PostBus over the Flüela Pass
- Scenic PostBus trip through rugged mountain scenery above the tree line
- Train to Davos Dorf, PostBus #331 to Zernez via Flüela, Ospiz - travel time 1 hr 28 (23 Jun-14 Oct 2018 only)
- At Zernez, you could visit the National Park Centre (free entry with Swiss Travel Pass)
- Modern town in mountain setting with beautiful typical/traditional Engadin old town
- Train to Scuol-Tarasp - travel time 42 min
Benedictine Convent of St. John in Müstair
- 1200-year-old monastery, UNESCO World Heritage site, set amongst lovely scenery. Free entry with Swiss Travel Pass. Journey there involves scenic bus trip through the mountains and the Swiss National Park.
- Train to Zernez, PostBus #811 to Müstair, Clostra Son Jon - travel time 1 hr 36
PARTLY COVERED BY SWISS TRAVEL PASS
- Village on small lake in mountain setting.
- Train to Arosa via Chur - travel time 2 hrs 12
- Free transport to Arosa; mountain transport in Arosa not covered with Swiss Travel Pass
- High alpine village set amongst beautiful mountain scenery and with lots of duty-free shopping. Carry your passport, as you cross the border with Austria to get there.
- Train to Scuol-Tarasp, PostBus to Samnaun-Dorf, Post - travel time 2 hrs 12
- Free transport to Samnaun; mountain transport in Samnaun not covered by Swiss Travel Pass
- Close-up views of the glacier, mountain restaurant with terrace overlooking glacier
- Train to Bernina Diavolezza, cable car to Diavolezza mountain station - travel time 1 hr 49
- Free transport to Bernina Diavolezza railway station; cable car to Diavolezza not covered by Swiss Travel Pass
- Wonderful views from the mountain above St Moritz.
- Train to St Moritz, funicular to Corviglia via Chantarella, cable car to Piz Nair - travel time 2 hrs 35
- Free travel to St Moritz; Piz Nair funiculars and cable car not covered by Swiss Travel Pass
- Wonderful views from mountain top, restaurant with outdoor terrace
- Train and bus to Punt Muragl, Talstation, funicular to Muottas Muragl - travel time 1 hr 54
- Free travel to Punt Muragl, Talstation; funicular to Muottas Muragl mountain station not covered by Swiss Travel Pass
You can use the Swiss Timetable to plan your trip (using the stop names I provided above).
(Use the one on the right with the red SBB logo.)