Day trip from Zurich, preferably lake scenery

• mario777
    Participant
    14 posts
    3 February 2017 at 17:13:30 #810728

Hello everyone!

I’ve been searching all over the forum for everything, any little detail that could make my trip to Switzerland in April special! The truth is I’ve learnt so many things in here and all the info provided is so helpful.

So, I will purchase the Swiss Travel Pass so that I’m flexible. I’ve already scheduled a day trip from Zurich to Luzern and Mount Pilatus and I’m now searching for another day trip. As a hobby-photographer I would prefer a Lake scenery. Lake Brienz and its surroundings combined with a view spot are my first thoughts but I’m sure there are many other little treasures hidden around that are not so popular! I really don’t mind that I will have to spend many hours in the train, I’m willing to start my trip very early in the morning. So I would like to hear your personal opinion on this! What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 February 2017 at 19:44:58 #858675

Hi Mario777,

I’m glad the website has been useful for you! Have you seen this page with lake trips? A few other options:

There are too many options to list here actually, but hopefully the above helps you out. One more tip: the southern part of Lake Lucerne, between Brunnen and Flüelen, is quite spectacular. I’m not sure if that’s on your list already.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 February 2017 at 18:37:36 #858676

Adding to Arno’s ideas-

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-hammetschwand-lift

Perhaps more a fun hike than a photography hike:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/bls-sudrampe-trail

That trail does not normally open officially until Easter, as you can read in my comments.

And a few from the Jungfrau region, but you will be there too early; Lots of snow on the higher trails in April. See attached for Summer or September pictures. up above Wengen

I also attached a composite panorama from the Emmental. Taken in mid-April, it was toward the end of a very very unusual sunny warm dry spell (none of the normal April rain and clouds.) The grass has not yet gotten green except in the lowest areas, and the trees are flowering, but the leaves are not out.

Slowpoke

mario777
    Participant
    14 posts
    9 February 2017 at 18:35:31 #858677

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Well, there is so much to see in this country and you can easily get confused. What I last came up with is a day-trip combining Oeschinensee and Blausee .I fell in love with these places.. What’s your opinion on this?I also read somewhere that walking from Kandersteg to Blausee is a really nice experience weather permitting, can you confirm this?

Thanks again! 🙂

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 February 2017 at 17:53:54 #858678

Blausee is wonderful, but tiny and touristy. Not the “unspoiled nature” kind of feeling there, but you can take very nice pictures. The surrounding forest is beautiful too, and also small 🙂

I did that walk a long time ago and took the trail on the eastern slope along the railway. Very nice. There is a shorter way in the valley too, but I don’t know that one. Must be nice I guess.

mario777
    Participant
    14 posts
    17 February 2017 at 16:15:04 #858679

Well I think I’ve made my final plan and now I just hope for nice weather. 🙂 A last question for you guys.. Is there a chance that Oeschinensee will be frozen in mid-April? I came across a trip report saying that the lake is usually frozen till May and made me a bit worried..

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 February 2017 at 17:53:11 #858680

Hi Mario77 –

<<“Is there a chance that Oeschinensee will be frozen in mid-April? I came across a trip report saying that the lake is usually frozen till May and made me a bit worried..”>>

Check the altitude – 1578 meters.

At that altitude, and surrounded by mountains (less sun exposure) it is almost certain to still be frozen in early April, and highly likely in late April. You did not specify dates, as far as I can tell.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2017 at 17:53:54 #858681

Hi Mario777,

Yes there is a chance that that lake will be frozen in whole or partially. It really does depend on our weather from now until then and whether it warms up a lot (or not!).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Day trip from Zurich, preferably lake scenery’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.