Looking for a day trip to the Alps from Sursee

• Glovermicki
    Participant
    17 posts
    30 August 2019 at 16:10:51 #823649

In late March we will be staying in Sursee and have time for 1 day trip. Would like to get as close to the Alps as possible in this short time frame. Would Lucern be our best choice?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 August 2019 at 16:34:15 #921268

Hi Glovermicki,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Lucerne is a wonderful town close to the Alps, but not “in” the Alps. I’d rather recommend a day trip to Mount Rigi or Mount Pilatus, and may be visit Lucerne en route. Please see:

Glovermicki
    Participant
    17 posts
    30 August 2019 at 18:56:25 #921269

Thank you for your response. I was planning on Mt. Pilatus, is that the better choice than Mt. Rigi?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2019 at 23:00:38 #921270

I would argue that neither Pilatus nor Rigi are ‘in’ the Alps either, they are both on the very edge, just as is Luzern!

As Sursee is very close to Luzern (20 minutes by non-stop train), I would suggest Engelberg / Titlis (https://www.myswissalp s.com/titlis) as the more ‘in the Alps’ experience easily doable in a day from Sursee

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    30 August 2019 at 23:58:44 #921271

We went to Rigi and Pilatus last year. Of the two, we liked Pilatus better. Better facilities at the top (hotel, restaurant, large deck terrace, gift shop, etc.). I can’t comment on the relative views since we rode through a heavy cloud cover that covered the middle half of each mountain on the way up, so what we could see once we got to the top was a sea of clouds in both locations with multiple mountaintops peaking through. Which in fact was pretty scenic in its own right.

One nice thing about going to Rigi is you can hop a boat from Luzern, and enjoy a scenic ride on the way. We returned to Luzern by taking the cogwheel train down to Arth Goldau & catching another train back to Luzern (quicker).

For Pilatus, it is a 20 minute train ride to the base at Alpnachstad from Luzern. I would not recommend taking the boat back from Alpnachstad, its one hour at best via boat.

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    31 August 2019 at 0:00:44 #921272

1960man offers a great idea. Mt. Titlis is on our list for the next time we go. A lot higher than either Rigi or Pilatus.

Glovermicki
    Participant
    17 posts
    31 August 2019 at 3:08:47 #921273

I was just looking into mt titles, it looks great. So would I need some type of pass for train and trip up mt

Annika
    7103 posts
    31 August 2019 at 6:03:25 #921274

Hi Glovermicki! I think rail pass options are discussed in this thread, right: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/winter-tell-pass-1? Let’s continue any follow-up questions on rail pass and tickets there :-).

• The thread ‘Looking for a day trip to the Alps from Sursee’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.