Day trip stops between Geneva Airport and Zermatt?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Mattg12
Mattg12
3 posts
Aug 29, 2019 - 1:41 PM

Hello. This site is so wonderful and so much helpful info! This is my first post, as I have read a bunch but would love some input.

My extended family of 8 (70 year old parents to 11 year old daughters) land in Geneva on Nov 26. We have lodging in Zermatt for 4 nights and fly out of Geneva on Dec 1 very early in the AM. We will stay at a hotel close to the airport in Geneva the night before our departure. It's a quick trip and with a group that size, we don't want to try to do too much in a short time frame.

My questions are regarding our travel days to and from Zermatt. We have 4 nights in Zermatt, but we would like to at least see some other town if we could (Vevey or Montreaux?) but we don't want it to be overly hurried and a hassle. How easy is it to store luggage in the train stations? If we only have 5-6 hours on the day we arrive en route to Zermatt or 8-10 hours on the day before we depart en route from Zermatt to Geneva to stop and see a town, would that be enough time to drop our bags in a locker and explore? Any suggestions which town would be easier to navigate in such a short time?

Thanks in advance. We're so excited :)

1960man
1960man
2242 posts
top member
Aug 29, 2019 - 11:02 PM

Montreux (not Montreaux) is probably the obvious place to stop ('Belle Epoque' hotels, links to Freddy Mercury etc). Luggage lockers are available at the station.

Annika
Annika
6100 posts
expert &
Aug 30, 2019 - 5:25 AM in reply to Mattg12

Hi Mattg12, and thanks for joining MySwissAlps! Great that you'll be exploring Zermatt and spending some time on the regions between Geneva and Zermatt. Note that a single journey Geneva Airport-Zermatt takes about 3h50 (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable), so that doesn't leave too much time for sightseeing along the way. However, I agree with 1960man that Montreux would make for a great stop: www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux. If you plan it all in detail, you might even make it up to Rochers-de-Naye (www.myswissalps.com/ro chersdenaye), include a short boat trip on the lake (www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakegeneva) or manage to visit to the famous Chateau de Chillon. That will cause things to get a bit rushed though. If you want to take it easy, just stroll around town and enjoy the lovely boulevard.

Other options, for your way back for example, would be a stroll through the towns of Brig (www.myswissalps.com/br ig), Sion or Lausanne (www.myswissalps.com/la usanne).

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019