Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Lucas
Lucas
5589 posts
expert &
Mar 14, 2018 - 7:11 AM in reply to Like2Travel

Enjoy!

The Glacier Walk is nice and flat or you can take the Snow bus across it to reach the look out and small restaurant as well.

Peterli
Peterli
401 posts
top member
Mar 23, 2018 - 4:36 PM in reply to Lucas

Hi Lucas,

I just read your excellent report on your visit to Glacier 3000, and I enjoyed your nice photos and the various comments. You certainly were blessed with a great weather day.

What I would like to add is that this is a much more doable trip time-wise if one is based in or around Montreux (or even Lausanne). From the Montreux Gare CFF it is about a twelve minute ride by train to Aigle VD. There are over a dozen trains running each way between Aigle and Les Diablerets VD, along a very picturesque route, as you are rising quite steeply from the Rhone valley, and these runs are less than an hour in duration. From Les Diablerets it takes about 16 minutes by bus to get to the base of the gondolas at le Col du Pillon. I found this bit on the internet as I have never been to the Col du Pollon. However, I lived for a time in a village below Villars VD and I can tell you that the scenery around there is lovely. I used to zoom around by motorcycle and that was great fun. There are also buses running up from Aigle and Bex VD (the next CFF stop south of Aigle) which will get you to Les Diablerets via either Leysin VD or Villars. I suspect that there is also a train running from Bex to Villars but am not sure if and when it runs. There is no train from Aigle to Villars. Thank you for for directing me to this thread.

Last modified on Mar 23, 2018 - 4:44 PM by Peterli
Peterli
Peterli
401 posts
top member
Mar 23, 2018 - 4:57 PM

It's me again, back with one more thing, a link to the live panoramic camera up at the Glacier 3000. What a beautiful day it is up there ! glacier3000.roundshot. com/

Lucas
Lucas
5589 posts
expert &
Mar 23, 2018 - 5:21 PM in reply to Peterli

Great pano camera Peter - thanks! It can't be right about Mont Blanc though....it makes it seem to me that Mont Blanc is right there!?

And yes I wouldn't really recommend this as a day trip from Zurich at all - definitely should be down from Montreux preferably or perhaps as far away as Bern is not too bad.

Peterli
Peterli
401 posts
top member
Mar 23, 2018 - 5:45 PM in reply to Lucas

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Is it possible that they mean that Mont Blanc is behind that other mountain ? Let me check on my topographic map.....

Yup, that's exactly the case. I went onto SwissTopo and drew a red line from the peak of Mont Blanc to the top of Scex-Rouge, and you can see there is no way one can see Mont Blanc from Scex-Rouge, as it is blocked by that very imposing Tête-Ronde (3210 metres) less than 3 km to the SSW. Scex-Rouge is a little under 3000 metres. Here's a map with a red line to show that the line of sight to Mont Blanc is blocked.

Last modified on Mar 23, 2018 - 5:48 PM by Peterli
Please login to see the attached documents
Lucas
Lucas
5589 posts
expert &
Mar 23, 2018 - 8:12 PM in reply to Peterli

Ah ok. Makes sense I suppose. A little misleading though. :)

Peterli
Peterli
401 posts
top member
Mar 23, 2018 - 8:21 PM in reply to Lucas

To people who are not familiar with the geography of this part of Europe, definitely ! It's too late now for today, but perhaps tomorrow I can find other instances at other locations where they do the same thing.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018