Day trip to Stoos & world”s steepest funicular

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2018 at 11:57:39 #874779

Thanks for the confirmation! When I was there there was no plastic card given to me for 5chf. Although I didn’t use any chairlifts…just up to Stoos and back down after lunch.

Dee Why
    Participant
    10 posts
    24 August 2018 at 15:29:16 #874780

Thinking more Lucas, the plastic card (ie “wave” or tap card) might be new device as I noticed there is the normal “slot” reader which perhaps you might have used. Actually first (incorrectly) tried to insert my card into the slot ! But quickly noticed someone doing the tap .. this is for access to funicular train to Stoos as well as chairlifts. My vague recollection is that at charlifts access (and exit, for Fronalpstock descent) gates, such a dual card tap & slot reader system is also in place. Will scrutinize photos and will post anything that shows it; once I’ve organised the many many photos taken 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2018 at 16:12:56 #874781

Yes could be a new system. I definitely inserted a paper ticket at Stoos to access funicular and go through and electronic gate.

Looking forward to any and all trip photos and a trip report if you have time!

Dee Why
    Participant
    10 posts
    25 August 2018 at 20:27:47 #874782

Will definitely do. Will be some time though as am flying tmo, and need good computer to sieve thro photos n vids rather than smartph! Am also low on data much as I like to attach something straightaway. Should have wifi in next destination. Hang in there! D

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2018 at 22:10:45 #874783

Can’t believe this thread is still going! But the more I read the more determined I am to include Stoos in my next trip! Liked the video Peterli.

Maggie

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    3 September 2018 at 8:46:21 #874784

Hi Maggie,

(keeping this thread alive 😉 ) And once you get to Stoos, be sure to continue up to the Fronalpstock ! It’s 612 metres higher up. It would not be worth it today as I just checked their webcams and the view up there is all grey and no better down at Stoos Dorf. Click on Panoramakamera to watch. It would be a waste of time and CHF right now.

Dee Why
    Participant
    10 posts
    5 September 2018 at 6:33:56 #874785

Herewith Lucas 4 pics especially one shows the electronic gate access to chairlift (2nd stage fescent from Fronalpstock to Stoos): has both tap and card slot reader. Will send more … Cheers, David ## ooops can’t find my folder; will retry. Meanwhile sorry let me post this in case I lose it online

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2018 at 7:27:25 #874786

Thanks for the post – do note if you are having trouble uploading images that they must be under 1mb in size.

Dee Why
    Participant
    10 posts
    5 September 2018 at 8:16:11 #874787

Herewith Lucas, finally the Eureka moment 🙂 The first photo should be the electronic gate system at the second descent chairlift from Fronalpstock to Stoos. Hope they get through , Cheers – David

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 September 2018 at 11:50:17 #874788

Reminds me of the Brandenburger Tor.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2018 at 15:26:53 #874789

Ah I see! I didn’t take the chairlift on my trip there but they do look new – and they do look like Brandenburger Tor! 🙂

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    7 September 2018 at 16:37:28 #874790

😊 Keeping the thread alive !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2018 at 20:34:37 #874791

Hi my Swiss alps team,

Thank you for all your help with planning our Switzerland trip. Today is our last night in Lucerne And we will be going tomorrow to Basel for our river cruise. I visited stoos yesterday and it was fantastic. It is an engineering marvel. I will try to post pictures after we reach Canada. The best part other then the funicular was the sound of cow bells on the top of the mountain.

Radha

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2018 at 7:29:52 #874792

We are travelling with my parents who are 73 and 68 years of age respectively to Switzerland next month. Stoos funicular is on our list so wanted to check if it is safe and comfortable for elderly people?

Swati

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    27 September 2018 at 8:02:15 #874793

Hello Swati,

No worries; the funicular is completely safe. If your parents can stand on a regular elevator, they will have no problems whatsoever.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2018 at 8:37:17 #874794

Thank you Peterli 🙂 Looking forward to our trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2018 at 20:47:52 #874795

My wife and I took the funicular to Stoos two days ago. Was the smoothest ride I have encountered on any funicular anywhere. We took the rear carriage going up and the rear carriage again going down. It was fascinating to watch the rear tray rise and fall to suit the gradient on the way down. Watching the barrel carriages turn in front of you to adjust to the terrain was also amazing to watch. We left Luzern on the 8:20am train to Schwyz and caught the bus from there to the Stoosbahn. It was lightly snowing at the time, and visibility was fine for the journey but poor at the top. We were there only for the ride, so took the return journey 30 minutes later and were back in Luzern for lunch. Basically just a mornings outing, but we both thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I totally recommend it. Thank you Lucas for your original post on this as it was after initially reading about your excursion that we decided to try it ourselves this year. Our whole outing including the funicular “free” with Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2018 at 8:23:57 #874796

Quite the trip isn’t it? And a little off the beaten tourist path too. Happy to help!

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    27 February 2019 at 22:02:02 #874797

Hello again.

Working on a day trip from Wengen to Fronalpstock for mid June (week of the 17th). Train from Wengen to Schwyz Stoosbahn. The plan is to take the funicular and then the chairlift to Klingenstock. Then hike to Fronalpstock and take the chairlift back down to Stoos. Am I reading the SBB timetable correct – is the last chairlift down from Fronalpstock at 16:00?

Do you think such a day trip is doable from Wengen?

As always, many thanks!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2019 at 8:25:27 #874798

16:00 sounds about right yes. 17:00 or 18:00 is typically the very latest for mountains. The SBB timetable is what you should live by. If it seems weird to you for some reason you can attach a screenshot and we’ll look at it.

The timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) shows it to be a 5+ hour trip from Wengen, one-way…seems like too long for a day trip to me.

You could leave at 6am…get there by 11am and leave by 3 or 4pm and get back to Wengen at 9pm…not something I’d want to do but it is doable. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • The thread ‘Day trip to Stoos & world”s steepest funicular’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.