Day trip to Zermatt and/or Chamonix from Montreux

Day trip to Zermatt and/or Chamonix from Montreux

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
PencilNeck
PencilNeck
2 posts
Jul 23, 2017 - 6:44 PM

Hello,

I will be staying in Montreux for 5 days from August 21st to 25th and would like to do a day trip to Zermatt. Ideally it would involve enough time to do some hiking and to get a good view of the Matterhorn, weather permitting. If anyone could advise whether there is a feasible itinerary for this I would be grateful.

I have also been told that I should not miss doing a day trip to Chamonix to take the cable car to see Aiguille du Midi. Same question as above - is it feasible to do this in a day? If you had to choose one or the other what would you do?

I have booked a Swiss Pass so plan to use trains if possible.

Merci/Danke/Thanks!

Lucas
Lucas
3460 posts
expert &
Jul 24, 2017 - 5:57 AM in reply to PencilNeck

Hi PencilNeck and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, both are ok as day trips. durations by train are between 2 and 2.5 hours (Chamonix being a bit closer). You can use the timetable here to plan your trips.

I have been to Zermatt in the winter and thought it was great! I haven't been to Chamonix to compare though. Have a look at our Zermatt activities page to find a list of recommended activities and hikes you can do.

Lucas

PencilNeck
PencilNeck
2 posts
Jul 25, 2017 - 1:25 PM

Thank you, Lucas. Much appreciated.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017