Day trip to Zermatt from Zurich in June

• Link
    Participant
    34 posts
    25 October 2021 at 19:28:34 #826211

Hello to everyone. First time in Switzerland: we will be in Zurich June 4-8 2022. We want to do a day trip via train to Zermatt. We will just be sightseeing around town and going up to Suggenna. While we realize this is a full, long day is it too ambitious? Would love your opinion on this.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    25 October 2021 at 20:36:36 #937079

Hi Link, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I first was puzzled but then I remember there is a place called Sunnegga in Zermatt (not Suggenna). From Zurich the trip lasts 3 ½ hours so if you leave early you can make it back and forth and have lunch there. Keep in mind that the elevation difference will make you tired. You might be a bit dizzy when you arrive up there. If I were with a small child I would probably do it in 2 days (spend the night in Zermatt before going up).

Enjoy your stay!

Snowman

Link
    Participant
    34 posts
    25 October 2021 at 21:48:13 #937080

Thank you so much Snowman. We are just 2 adults, no kids so we are okay being tired! We can snooze on the train back to Zurich.

Sorry, you are right, it’s Sunnegga. Somehow my brain and fingers weren’t in sync. (LOL) We look forward to our Switzerland visit. I hope the Covid issues won’t be in the way by June.

Link

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 October 2021 at 22:03:07 #937081

It is possible to do a day trip to Zermatt from the main Swiss cities. It’s easy to start early in the day in Zurich if you need to.

eg Zurich 0802, Zermatt 11.14

I would recommend you go to Gornergrat, the Gornergratbahn station is adjacent and you can enjoy the views all the way up on the GGB train

Link
    Participant
    34 posts
    25 October 2021 at 22:05:57 #937082

Thank you for the suggestion.

So much to see and think about!

Link

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    26 October 2021 at 11:56:45 #937083

I would also check one of the Zermatt webcams before leaving Zurich to make sure the weather is clear and the views good. As much as I love Zermatt, I would not do this on a day when the Matterhorn is “under the weather”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2021 at 0:33:12 #937084

The problem is that the Matterhorn can be cloudy in the morning and perfectly clear by afternoon. Looking at the webcam in Zurich early morning would not necessarily help. If the forecast was for cloudless skies in the Valais then it would be OK. Any other weather pattern will always produce some risk of the mountains being less than clear

Link
    Participant
    34 posts
    28 October 2021 at 2:18:12 #937085

Great information, thank you for the weather tip. I’ll look for cloudless skies in the Valais! Maybe we’ll get lucky! Whatever the weather, I know we will enjoy our visit to Switzerland.

Link

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    28 October 2021 at 7:16:00 #937086

Hi Link,

I have to agree with Snowman in that I would strongly think about spending the night in Zermatt. This way, even if the weather is not cooperating, you have another day to try to go to either Sunnegga or the Gornergrat, (or any other sight you may want to go to see). You can always walk around the village if you’re unable to go up to the sights due to clouds. Unless you have some pressing needs that require you to be in Zurich, I would consider it. I have found that most hotels will hold your luggage after you check out for a period of time while you explore the area. So you can see Sunnegga on the day of arrival and the Gornergrat the next day (or vice versa) and depart for Zurich thereafter. Also, depending on the size of your luggage, you could keep it in a locker at the train station and just take a backpack since most hotels have a check in time at about 1600 hours. The walk to the Sunnegga station is less than 10 minutes from the train station. The walk to the Gornergratbahn is right across the street from the train station.

Hope this may help in some way. Enjoy your trip.

Danielsan

Link
    Participant
    34 posts
    28 October 2021 at 18:42:59 #937087

Hi there Danielsan:

Thank you for the good advice. We are keeping the idea of spending the night in Zermatt on our list!

Link

• The thread ‘Day trip to Zermatt from Zurich in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.