Day trip to Zermatt (pending weather) or as a base

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2019 at 4:05:46 #822759

Hi – I am piecing together a trip for Fall 2020 (late August/early Sept). The focus will be on hiking, and we would like to spend 3 days or so in each area. We currently plan to fly into Zurich and from there explore Luzern, Gimmelwald (Berner Oberland area), Zermatt, Montreux then end in Geneva where we will be meeting up with a tour group. My question is regarding a stay in Zermatt. Since the weather is so uncertain would it be better to have a different base, watch the weather and head there as a day trip if the weather is good? Or just risk it and hope for the best and spend 3 days there? My husband was there in the 80’s and wants to share the experience of seeing the Matterhorn with me.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2019 at 7:52:30 #917407

Hallo Carolyn and welcome to MySwissAlps

We have just been to Zermatt for 3 days in June and had all kinds of weather. It was absolutely amazing and to see the Matterhorn in all its glory is an experience I will never forget. We stayed in an apartment with an unobstructed view of the Matterhorn from the balcony and our bedroom. I watched it bathed in early morning sun, then covered in bits of cloud, then hiding behind thick cloud cover and evenings I fell asleep facing the Matterhorn. On our last morning we were blessed with a postcard blue sky.

We also just fell in love with the village of Zermatt and the friendly people. So, as you can see, I will find it difficult to not recommend a stay in Zermatt.

• The thread ‘Day trip to Zermatt (pending weather) or as a base’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.