Day trips from Bern, where to stay, end of Nov?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2019 at 15:15:44 #824343

hi all

i need some advice. I am planning to visit Switzerland around 20 Nov. I will like to visit Lucern, Mt Titlis, Jungfraujoch, Zurich and possibly the world famous Zermatt too. Is it good idea to stay in Bern and take day trips to these places over the next 5 days? otherwise, where do you recommend i stay?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    1 November 2019 at 5:11:15 #924459

Hi Cherylbaby88,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Bern has good transportation links to all the places you plan to visit. It is also a lovely city and would make a good base for you. I would also recommend looking at Lucerne, Interlaken and Thun as possible alternatives. To help you find accommodation, feel free to use the links below:

For things to see and do, please refer to the following links:

I would highly recommend using the SBB timetable to plan ahead. It will help you calculate the distance, cost and journey time needed to reach each destination. ( http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable)

For details about rail passes, please use this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issrailpasses

Best regards,

Anna

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 November 2019 at 22:41:51 #924460

Hi Cherylbaby88 –

Please be aware that November 20th is at the middle or near the end of the between seasons shut down in the high Alps. Definitely “low season.”

You will find that many but not all hotels and restaurants, and some tourist facilities, are close until near Christmas. Check availability at hotels.

Please check the timetable for operating dates of mountain transport. Use the timetable linked by Anna.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 8:16:50 #924461

Hello Cherylbaby88,

Thanks for your questions!

Bern is a good city to be in as a travel base for the Jungfrau region because it has a main train station there.

I would also suggest Lucerne as a second travel base if you also want to focus on Mount Titlis and the other surrounding areas of middle Switzerland. If you have Bern as your main travel base for the 5 days, please note that the travel time from Bern to Mount Titlis would take approximately 3 hours one way on the train. In addition, the amount of daylight is limited in the winter too.

Definitely get familiar with the SBB timetable that Anna linked for you! It’s indispensable!

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 November 2019 at 9:01:38 #924462

Hi Cherylbaby88 –

As you can see, you have options for bases. If you don’t mind switching bases once during your short trip, you can consider Bern and Luzern, as discussed above.

If you insist on one base, either Bern or Luzern can work, with some inconvenience from some long day trips. Another combination that could work is Interlaken Ost ( Jungfraujoch and Zermatt) plus Luzern, for Titlis, Luzern, Zürich.

Will you arrive and depart from Zürich airport? Or, will you be coming and going by train?

You can sort out travel times as noted above by using the timetable.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Day trips from Bern, where to stay, end of Nov?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.