Day trips from Interlaken & Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2018 at 19:12:52 #815910

Hi,

I will be travelling to Switzerland for 6 days & 5 nights with my husband and 3 year old daughter. I have booked my accommodation, which I wish I had not but now that I have (3 nights in Interlaken & 2 nights in Zurich), our day trips have to be in sync with the same. We will be buying a 4 day swiss travel pass. Here is how we have planned our itenary so far and need advise if its workable or not –

Day 1 – We are landing in Zurich at 7am, going straight to Interlaken. After leaving our luggage at the apartment or checking in if they allow an early check in, we will head out for a boat ride to Thun, from Thun to Bern, walk around the city and then take a train back from Bern to Interlaken

Day 2 – Go to Jungfrau and back. Enjoy the evening in Interlaken

Day 3 – Take a train to Lucerne, have a look around the city, go to Mt Titlis and then back to Interlaken

Day 4 – On this day, we will be checking out from Interlaken and our hotel is booked in Zurich so we have to reach Zurich by evening. Also this is the last day of our swiss travel pass. Please note that we will be carrying our luggage on this day. Not wanting to miss the scenic train ride, we are planning to do part of Glacier express on this day. So we will start early from Interlaken and take a train to Brigg. Then we will take the Glacier express from Brigg to Chur. We should be at Chur by afternoon. Leave the luggage in the station cloak room and then maybe take a train to Arosa and be there for a couple of hours or if possible take a local train to Filisur ( would love to pass over landwasser viaduct), then back to Chur and then take a train from Chur to Zurich.

Day 5 – We are planning to hire a car on this day, drive down to Rhine falls & black forest and back to Zurich in the evening. If time permits, would like to see lake Zurich or take a walk around Old town. Our hotel is 700 meters from Old town.

Day 6 – Take a bus to Konstance Germany, boat ride to Minau and then back to Zurich. On this day we will be checking out from the hotel in the morning, leave our luggage with them and then take an overnight bus to Prague at 20.50 from Zurich bus stand.

Please let me know if its a good itenary. We are most worried about Day 4. Is it workable? Also, we would like to do para-gliding in Interlaken. Which will be a good day to do the same with our day trips planned.

Looking forward to some expert advice.

Thanks & regards,

Ritika

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 May 2018 at 1:06:13 #884947

<<“I will be travelling to Switzerland for 6 days & 5 nights “>>

When? It matters for the Alpine segments.

Why not combine the last days and stay in the Ostschweiz?

It is permitted to change reservations..although time of year can make it easy or hard.

Depending on the time of year, it could be easy.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 2:10:05 #884948

Hi Ritika and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’ll need to use the Swiss railways timetable to plan the trips out and see what can work for you.

Day 4: The Glacier Express trains are denoted a GEX on the timetable (1-3 departures per day depending on time of year). You also must make reservations at an extra cost.
    Day 5 can be very long – the Black Forest is a huge area – do you have an idea of where you are going there?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 May 2018 at 2:46:34 #884949

If you want to see the Landwasser Viaduct it would be better to take the Glacier Express through to FIlisur then return to Chur and continue to Zurich from there on regular trains. Interlaken to Zurich via that route would take 9 hours 15 minutes with the fastest connections and no stopping anywhere to look around.

Squeezing in a 2 hour a round trip to Arosa would make for a pretty long day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 10:53:44 #884950

Thank you all for taking out time and giving your suggestions!

We will reach Zurich/Interlaken on July 14, 2018. My reservations are non refundable so in terms of hotels we will have to stick to the same plane i.e 14th, 15 & 16 night in Interlaken. By end of day on 17th we have to reach Zurich. 17th & 18 night in Zurich plus full day of 19th. 19th night is when we start our travel for Prague.

Some more questions-

DAy 4 when we are planning to take the Glacier express, firstly I hope it will not be too difficult to do the entire trip from Interlaken to Brigg to Chur/Filisur to Arosa and then to Zurich in one day along with a child and luggage.

For day 5, we have no idea where to go in Black forest. We just saw there were one day trips to Rhine falls and black forest so decided to do that. Any suggestions? It will be our only day that we will be hiring a car in Switzerland and someone had suggested that its a beautiful drive from Zurich to black forest.

Alternatively in one of recent threads in this forum, someone had suggested to club Konstance & Rhine falls. He said you could go to Konstance, from there you can get a boat cruise along the Rhine River to Stein am Rhein or Schaffhausen and then continue from there to the Rhine Falls and back to Zurich.

Is it better to club Konstance & Rhine falls rather or should we stick to Rhine falls & black forest. Your country is so beautiful that it is extremely difficult to decide what to do & what to miss! I wish I had done some more research before deciding on my number of days in Switzerland and before doing the hotel bookings.

Please suggest if we have picked up the best that can be done in 5 nights & 6 days. We are open to changes! what’s most important is to see the most of natural beauty that the place has to offer!

Also, should we buy the Swiss pass in advance or should we buy it at the airport? Where can we get the best deal for the pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 11:00:38 #884951

Is it possible to take the Glacier express through to Filisur. I thought the train only stopped at Chur and then at St Moritz. If it stops at Filisur then it would be great because we can just go upto filisur then take a local train to Arosa or back to Chur.

Are there trains from Filirur or Chur to Vaduz? Is the train to Vaduz also covered in Swiss pass? What should we chose between Arosa & Vaduz?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 May 2018 at 11:18:44 #884952

The Glacier Express stops at Filisur.

You can’t catch a train to Vaduz only a bus within Lichtenstein.

You really need to check the timetable to see what you can achieve in the time you have available. I think you are being a bit optimistic unless you plan to arrive back in Zurich very late at night.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 May 2018 at 12:13:16 #884953

Hi Rika-

if you check the timetable, linked by Lucas, you can see the names of the station stops for the trains, buses, etc.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 23:43:39 #884954

I think the only way to Arosa is train from Chur, departing once an hour and taking 1 hour single trip so unless you stay on train and come straight back, you need at least 3 hours with just a hour to explore Arosa. Difficult to fit that in to an already long day.

Maggie

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 May 2018 at 18:07:57 #884955

Hi Ritika,

You can best buy the Swiss Travel Pass online, that’s quicker and safer (as you can have as many backup prints as you want). You’ll find all the options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

• The thread ‘Day trips from Interlaken & Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.