Day trip ideas from Lucerne early June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 13:58:49 #811189

We, a senior couple, will be staying in Buochs near Lucerne from June 3 to 11, 2017. We will have a car and some form of rail pass. We enjoy scenic rides, local culture and urban experiences, museums, history and art. One of us can’t walk long distances or on rough terrain. We are looking for day trip ideas from this area, car and train. We would like to one or two of the classic train rides. So, help with auto or train day trip ideas and the feasibility of round-trip (we’d like to be home for late dinner) classic train rides is most welcome.

Ken, Washington State USA

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 14:11:12 #860515

Hi Ken and welcome to MySwissAlps!

My first suggestion is read through our page on Luzern (local German spelling) to see what the options are for you in town and nearby.

There are some great days trips listed on our Luzern page that would be enjoyable, such as

I hope this helps get you started let me know if you have further questions!

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 March 2017 at 1:58:33 #860516

Hi Ken-

<<“One of us can’t walk long distances or on rough terrain. “>>

Could you clarify? How long is “long”?

Above Buochs, on the Bürgenstock, is a really nice place to visit, but it does require a walk. I’ve seen it done in wheelchairs,so the path is smooth, but is still takes a good bit of walking. Check out this link…follow the thread.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/itinerary-advice-15-day-swiss-train-pass-20-sep

Definitely try the lake boats.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 March 2017 at 2:02:00 #860517

Ooops.

Missed the attachment; doubled up by mistake.

Also-

the hike is not for you, but the images are:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2017 at 16:51:45 #860518

A few blocks at too quick a pace is not comfortable. Hikes on smooth surfaces that are more than 1/4 miles would not be welcome. Uurriii (may dad’s given name was Uri….now we visit Uri region).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2017 at 16:53:22 #860519

Could someone reply to an additional question. Do any of the lake boats pick up and drop off in Buochs? Uurriii

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2017 at 17:18:34 #860520

Where would your destination be?

It doesn’t look like a major stop, but there is “Buochs, See” stop and you can search for timetables here. Click advanced search and de-select everything but ship.

Also it does look like there is limited trips from Buochs to Luzern – see timetables here.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 March 2017 at 17:35:29 #860521

Here is information on the lake boats.

Please scroll down and make sure that you have the correct seasonal schedule.

If you are visiting Canton Uri, why do you stay in Canton Nidwalden? Buochs does have nice location, of course.

Have you considered Flüelen or Seelisberg? They are both in Canton Uri.

I’d also recommend a visit to Schwyz, for the history of the area and the Bundesbrief Museum, but it might require more mobility than one of you has.

http://www.museums.ch/org/en/ Bundesbriefmuseum

I was also going to suggest a visit to Hammetschwand for lunch, but it would require too much walking….even on the Felsenweg.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/buergenstock-hammetschwand-lift.html

See attached

Pilatus could be done. Public transport to Alpnachstad, walk less than 100 meters to the cograil; ride up, then once up top, optional level walk.

Oh, by the way…Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Day trip ideas from Lucerne early June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.