Day trips from Lugano to Bellinzona and Locarno

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 December 2019 at 14:48:41 #824719

Hi,

I will be in Lugano from 24 to 26 Feb am thinking of doing a day trip on 25 Jan Sat:

Any suggestions? Is it difficult to travel by train from Bellinzona to Locarno or Lake Maggiore if I don’t drive?

25 Jan

– Lugano to Bellinzona weekend Market (an hour train ride) is it worth visiting?

– Visit Gorgeous cathedral “Chiesa Collegiata dei SS Pietro e Stefano” (St Peter and St Steven)

– Bellinzona to Cardada Panoramic View point, Madonna del Sasso then to Ascona old town for sightseeing.

– Not sure if I have time to go to Cardada Cimetta ~ Car free mountain village Cardada then Locarnos old town. Walk to the funicular station (2 min) and take the cable car and chairlift all the way up to Cimetta to enjoy the view of Lake Maggiore, the mountains and the towns Locarno and Ascona. ~ 1hr

Lake Maggigore? Do I have time to go there and if I’m traveling by public transport or is there a day tour from Lugano that I can sign up for day trip?

– Orselina Funicolare to Cimetta Opening hours: 08:15 to 18:15

– Start the trip with Altitude of 200m. From the train station, turn left into the Via della Stazione. After 150m you will see the funicular station on your right, after crossing the canal. Take the funicular up to the last stop: Orselina Funicolare at 378m.

– Alternatively take a scenic walk from Lucarno to the Madonna del Sasso church. Then proceed 5 more min to reach Orselina.

– Cimetta to Madonna del Sasso opening hours: 07:00 to 1830 (Summer) ~ Take the chairlift and cablecar back down, but only as far as Orselina. Don’t take funicular all the way down, but walk to the historical church of Madonna del Sasso ~ 40 min

Any suggestion how I should plan this day trip out from Lugano?

regards

Lynn

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    25 December 2019 at 21:21:47 #926909

Hi Lynn

We stayed 4 days in Orselina this past June. My suggestion which is very subjective would be 1. Train to Locarno. 2. Funicular to Orselina. (Nothing much to see in Orselina). 3.Cable car to Cimetta then walk along trail below but parallel to the chairlift to Cardada for very scenic view of Lake Maggiore and mountains. (We continued on another 2 hrs to another viewpoint). 4.Return from Cardada to Cimetta via chairlift then cable car down to Orselina. 5. Walk down to Madonna del Sasso church (or take funicular down 1 stop and get off). 6. Funicular or walk down to Locarno.

To me the most scenic part of the town itself is in the old section of Ascona which can be reached easily by bus or by boat from the train station in Locarno. Lots of restaurants and shops along the waterfront in Locarno and old town in Ascona.

Mark

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 December 2019 at 21:30:33 #926910

Is it difficult to travel by train from Bellinzona to Locarno or Lake Maggiore if I don’t drive?

No. I strongly recommend using the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) for checking train timetables.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 December 2019 at 1:31:06 #926911

Switzerland is a small country, and the Ticino canton is a small part of a small country so distances are not great. Lugano Bellinzona is the Gotthard railway – a major north – south international railway route so plenty of fast trains.

Bellinzona – Locarno is a short branch line

Don’t miss the famous castles and old town in Bellinzona

If you are a James Bond or Pierce Brosnan fan you can take a bus from Locarno to the Contra dam.

• The thread ‘Day trips from Lugano to Bellinzona and Locarno’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.