Day trips from Zurich – train pass help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2017 at 15:52:10 #811385

Hi All! I am so excited to be visiting Switzerland for the first time in early May. I’m flying into Zurich (from NY) From there I’m flying to Salzburg and basing myself there for 5 days. After that I am taking the train back to Zurich and finishing up my trip in Zurich for 3 days. My plan is to take days trips, by rail, from Zurich to Colmar, Strasbourgh and the Bernese Oberland. From what I’ve read, people advocate for just taking a train to the Oberland as opposed to going on a group tour. I am a solo traveler and I am comfortable traveling alone but I’m also unsure about how involved it will be to get there from Zurich.Do you suggest just doing point to point rail travel or should I buy a pass? Thank you for all of your help and suggestions!

Sue

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2017 at 17:42:43 #861430

Hi Sue,

The easiest option for you is to buy a 3 day Swiss travel Pass. This will cover 95% of all train routes in Switzerland – some special mountain trains are discounted only and not fully covered.

With this pass you can just hop on any train you choose – no other tickets or reservations are needed. You can buy it online here, and then print at home to have with you when you arrive in Switzerland.

You can also check out train schedules for your trips here.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Day trips from Zurich – train pass help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.