Day trips from Zurich with a Swiss rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2019 at 15:15:44 #824508

Good Day

I’m traveling to Zurich from 29/12 to 31/12, would like to know if it’s worth to take the Swiss Travel Pass or a Day Saver is enough? And if I tave the Swiss Travel Pass, how do I buy the TGV to Paris with discount?

We are 4 people and this is our plan so far:

29/12- 1st day. from Zurich airport to Zurich old town (hotel). Take train to Bern or Lucerne (round trip same day). Spend evening in Zurich

30/12 – 2nd day. Train from Zurich to Grindelwald (round trip), checking out few cities on the way.

31/12 – 3rd Day. Leave Switzerland. Train from Zurich to Paris.

Thank you so much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2019 at 15:44:41 #925441

Hi Mariakatia1 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Great, that you are coming to visit Switzerland.

You’ll find a useful guide with a calculation spreadsheet, which helps you to choose your rail pass in 5 steps at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass. The downloadable spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it’s valid” page for all available passes, be sure to study it carefully.

Regarding the train to Paris, you’ll find great tips at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france. If you have the Swiss Travel Pass you need to buy your ticket just from the border to Paris.

Further information about the places you are planning to visit:

More details about the Swiss Travel Pass and Saver Day Pass:

I hope this helps. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2019 at 22:26:28 #925442

Thank you!

Having a look to your links, i might get the Eurail Global Pass instead, do you think it is a good idea?

I believe I can travel inside Switzerland and get some discount from Basel to France, I didn’t find this answer yet.

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2019 at 23:49:03 #925443

Eurail Global pass covers all of central mainland Europe so should be valid on all the journeys you list (but only 25% discount beyond Interlaken to Grindelwald)

Anna
    6382 posts
    22 November 2019 at 6:44:14 #925444

Hi Mariakatia1,

Please visit this page, http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass, for information about the Eurail Global Pass.

Regards,

Anna

Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    26 November 2019 at 9:57:35 #925445

Hello Mariakatia1

“29/12- 1st day. from Zurich airport to Zurich old town (hotel). Take train to Bern or Lucerne (round trip same day). Spend evening in Zurich”

If you visit Bern and return to Zurich on the same day, you’ll be spending more time travelling.Why not stay in Bern overnight and visit jungfrau region including Grindelwald the following day and return to Bern?

On the last day you can return to Zurich via Luzern to take the train back.

Anyway it is up to you.If I were you I’d work it out that way..

• The thread ‘Day trips from Zurich with a Swiss rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.