Days not covered by Swiss Travel Pass: best option

• Tanya_shih
    Participant
    29 posts
    23 April 2023 at 2:12:17 #829661

Dear friends, I am Tanya from Brisbane Australia again. We are getting there in 22 weeks. so excited. Please advise me the following:

Day 1 From Milan central to Tirano , from Tirano station to Brusio station walk to spiral viaduct. After take train f rom Brusio station to Bernina Diavollzza, take cable car to the Diavollezza, Overnight: Pontresina

Day 2 from Pontresina to Muottas Muragl Piz Corvatsh, Piz Nair…etc, Overnight: Studio in Domat Ems

Day 3 The Swiss Grand Canyon Overnight: Studio in Domat Ems

Totally we 18 days in Swiss . with 15 days Pass, there is still 3 days outside of STP. My question is Should we purchase point to point ticket or Save Day pass? Because we will take regula train instead of Bernina express. Where I can find regular train price and costs up to Muottas Muragl, Piz Corvatsh?

From day 4 we will start using STP.

Day 4 to Day 7 stay overnight in Zermatt , Day 7 and 8 stay overnight in Montreux

From day 9 to 12 we will stay in Wengen, During this time, we plan to take Post Bus and go 4 Pass Mt Pass rout. I understand that it take whole day from 9 am begin in Meiringen to 6 pm. My question is how do we travel from Wengen to Meiringen on time?

Day 18 the last day of 15 STP, my question is before 9 pm or mid night we have to out of Switzerland?

Thank you for your patient.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2363 posts
    23 April 2023 at 11:44:26 #953690

Hello Tanya,

1. Point to point vs Saver Day Pass. Saver Day Passes are not always available and can be purchased 60 days in advance. They can be a sensible option if much travel is anticipated on a particular day and can be much cheaper than buying several point to point tickets. More information below on both:

You can find regular, normal train prices via the timetable link and scrolling to “How to find standard ticket prices”

2. You can also research the Wengen to Meiringen travel route via the timetable link above: here you can view the departure/arrival and journey times and modes of transport.

3. The last day of your Swiss Travel Pass, for example, if your 15th day is tomorrow 24 April, its expiry would fall at 5.00am, allowing travel after midnight on the 25 April, if you needed to, up to 5.00am.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Tanya_shih
    Participant
    29 posts
    1 May 2023 at 0:56:11 #953691

Thank you, Yolanda, Happy Labour Day!

According to your advise, I did some correction for out journey. could you please give me your advise. Thank you>

28/09, Day 1 : from Tirano station to brusio station; take train from Brusio st to Bernina Diavollza, take cable car to the Diavollezzaf. overnight Pontresina

Day2 Pontresina to Muottas Murgle ; take Rhaetian Railway Landwasser Viaduct between St Moritz to Thusis . overnight in Domat Ems

I have found a 2 day heritage pass to cover 2 days from Tirano to Thusis. Need to find ticket to cover 1 day. Do you have any suggestion? Thank you

Day 3 The swiss grant canyon over night Domat Ems. MY question is stay over night is Domat Ems is a right plan? Day 4 we will take Glacier Express. The Glacier express pass the Domat Ems station? If not where is the start point for Glacier Express?

Day 4 take Glacier Express to Zermatt. 3 over nights

visiting Matterhorn Glacier paradise, Klein Materhorn,

Day5 visiting Aletsch Glacier,

Day 6 Sunnegga, Blauherd, Rochorn 5 lakes walk

Day7 Genva, Chillon Castle, Montrexu, Glacier 3000 overnight Montreux

Day 8 Bern, Lake of Thur, Beatus Cave in Sundlauenen 3 overnight in Interlaken

Day 9 takle postbus travel to 4 mt pass

Day 10 Jungfraujoch

Day 11 Grindelwald

Day 12 Wengen, Murren, Lauterbrunnen

Day 13 Lucerne 4 over nights old town , charplet bridge, Dying lion, …ect

Day 14 Mt Rigi

Day 15 Golden Pilate take 6 hours

Day 16 Take Voralpen Exp to St Gallen, lake of Constance to Schaffhausen to Zurich back to Lucerne

Day 17 Goatherd Panorama Express to Lugano overnight Lugano

Day 18 bellinzona 3 castle, Tibet bridge need to get out of Switzerland today. Take train to Florence

Please give me your advise . Thank you>

Anna
    6382 posts
    1 May 2023 at 7:36:24 #953692

Hi Tanya Shih,

Thanks for sharing your revised itinerary. I think this looks doable. I think staying in Interlaken makes it more convenient for you to plan trips to Meiringen and the 4 Central Alps passes and explore the Jungfrau region.

For your first 3 days in Switzerland, I suggest getting point-to-point tickets for your train travel.

Point-to-point tickets:

Day 1: Tirano to Pontresina = CHF28 (valid all day). You are allowed to stop at Bernina Diavolezza. The cable car ticket to Diavolezza will need to be purchased separately).

Day 2: I recommend Chur as your next base if your next plan is to catch the Glacier Express. Pontresina to Chur = CHF42 (valid all day). You can stop in Punt Muragl for sightseeing on Muottas Muragl (funicular tickets need to be purchased separately).

Day 3: Take the train from Chur to Ilanz to experience the beautiful Rhine Gorge. A return ticket cost roughly CHF32 and valid all day. You can also purchase the Rhine Gorge ticket for CHF40 which includes free travel on local buses and excursions along the Rhine Gorge route. You can check out the details here: tickets.rhb.ch/en/pages/rhine-gorge-ticket)

Day 4: The Glacier Express departs from Chur at about 11am. You can check out the Glacier Express route here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere

Regards,

Anna

Tanya_shih
    Participant
    29 posts
    4 May 2023 at 23:46:29 #953693

Thank you so much, Anna, that is fantastic detail information. I will book point to pint in the first 3 days in Switzerland.

I have taken your advise and rebooked accommodation in Chur. Luckily I get Airbnb otherwise cost me far too much then my barget as accommodation in Chur where is a little country town however, so so expensive.

In relation to point to point tickets, I suppose we can get off any station we want, Right?

Finally, The 18 days of Swiss trip we need to get out of Swiss as STP will be expire in the midnight of the 18 day. We plan to go to Florence, Venice and Milan. From Milan back to Brisbane, Australia. My question is :

Should we go from Lugano to Florence or Venice? Are there any direct train from Luanna to Florence or Venice? or should we go from Chiasso to Florence or Venice?

I have checked websites of R& R and Italiatraan, but could not find direct train. Please give me your advise. Thank you.

Anna
    6382 posts
    5 May 2023 at 10:19:16 #953694

Hi Tanya Shih,

Point-to-point tickets are available for a single journey or return trip. For single journey tickets, you are allowed to stop at any station in between but you can’t use the same ticket to return to where you came back from. A return ticket allows you stop at any station along the route as many time as you wish and return to your departure point as long as the ticket is still valid. You can find more info about point-to-point tickets here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland

For your onward journey to Italy, if you’re flying out of Milan, a sensible route would be to go from Lugano to Florence first (via Milan), followed by Venice then Milan. There are direct trains between Florence and Venice, and Milan and Venice. You can find information about travel and tickets to Italy here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

Regards,

Anna

Tanya_shih
    Participant
    29 posts
    5 May 2023 at 22:29:43 #953695

Thank you, Anne, that all valuable information. I think we are all ready to go. Thank you again have a wonderful weekend.

• The thread ‘Days not covered by Swiss Travel Pass: best option’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.