Mountain trip on Christmas eve/day a good idea?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2017 at 18:14:00 #813714

Hello,

I am arriving in Lucerne on 24th morning from Zurich and will spend 2 night in Lucerne (24th & 25th) and on 26th I have late eve flight back to Paris from Zurich.

Since it is December and on top of that Christmas how shall I plan my sightseeing and day trips. I was wondering if its possible to do a day trip to Jungfraujoch on 25th since on Christmas everything will be closed in Lucerne. Will it be feasible to do a day trip since it will be dark pretty early at 430PM to leave in Lucerne in the morning ( take the first train out) and return in the eve?

Also, should we just drop Jungfraujoch and plan either Mt. Pilatus or Mr.Titlis instead on 24/25th . Can someone share their experience especially when travelling in late Dec. What about Mt.Rigi?

I am totally confused. Please help 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 November 2017 at 20:58:34 #872257

Hi Chirag5-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

<<“leave in Lucerne in the morning ( take the first train out) and return in the eve?”>>

See attached for “first train out.”

If you really mean the first train out, you can have a good part of the daylight hours on the Jungfraujoch.

However, rather than a difficult and long day of train travel, which might be worth it under the circumstances, I’d worry about weather. At that time of year, you have no certainty of a cloudless day. The expensive trip will not be worth it if you can’t see anything but the inside of clouds, in my opinion.

Check the forecasts, and , in particular, talk to the tourist office by track 2 in Luzern main station on Sunday. It will be open from 9AM ’til 1 PM. They will have a good reading on the likely weather up there the next day. Or, phone Interlaken Ost tourist office on Saturday. Closed Sundays in the Winter. They open at 8AM on normal Mondays. You’ll probably go through there too early to see them.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2017 at 21:35:45 #872258

Thanks Slowpoke. I think you are right. I will check with tourist office for the final decision. Not worth travelling 4 hours plus the expensive tickets and then not able to enjoy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2017 at 8:46:38 #872259

I think a mountain trip though is a good idea on holidays though as the towns will be quite deserted.
    I’d go to whichever mountain has the best weather!

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    22 November 2017 at 14:32:36 #872260

If the weather is gorgeous, what you plan is certainly feasible. On the other hand, Christmas Day is traditionally a day when the Swiss go to the mountains for skiing, etc. I would expect crowds of Swiss, as tourists, on trains, lifts, etc. A fair number will be using gift coupons that they received as presents. Plan on having plenty of company every where. Still, with pristine weather, it is a trip that is hard to beat.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 November 2017 at 16:25:07 #872261

Hi Chirag-

This just showed up in my e-mails:

http://www.luzern.com/en/fest ivals-events/christmas

It was part of a link from the NY Times, so it may be redundant, but here is that link:

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/em ailads/gg/switzerland/ 20171122/switzerland11 223.html?nlid=46126812

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Mountain trip on Christmas eve/day a good idea?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.