Dec 28th – 1st Jan – Accommodation in a ski resort

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2011 at 2:16:20 #804799

Hi there,

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers visiting Europe from Australia in December and we would like to visit a famous ski resort in the swiss alps that will be an experience of a lifetime. We are travelling on a budget and by train.
    We are travelling from Germany – what resort would you recommend and do you know of any that will accommodate a family on a budget?

I look forward to your response (s).

Many thanks,

Hennessy Family

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2011 at 7:31:38 #834553

I think you’ll have a problem with this. No one is going to want to rent you anywhere for a part week at high season. You’re also going to struggle to find a room big enough for basically 4 adults so you’d need two rooms in a lot of places which it makes it doubly sure that owners won’t to block two rooms for a part week.

You can solve part of that by looking for a self catering apartment or studio but owners will still be reluctant to let it go for a part week.

Do you want to actually ski? If not, then maybe staying in a valley like Sierre, Sion, Aigle etc might work and take some day trips to places .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2011 at 1:17:18 #834554

Thanks for the feedback. I will have a look at the valleys you suggested and do my homework.

Most of us do ski so we might need to invest in 2 rooms.
    Do you know of any ‘budget’ accommodation worth looking in to?? Probably an apartment or studio…

Kind regards,
    Hennessy Family

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 July 2011 at 6:57:38 #834555

Welcome to the forum Hennessy Family!

I have to agree with SwissMountainLeader: the combination of budget travelling in the most popular week of the year and booking less than a full week is quite challenging. There are hotels that offer not only standard rooms but also studios or apartment-like larger rooms that can usually (at least in other weeks) be booked for less than a week. I’m not sure what budget you have in mind. You can do a search sorted on price on both hotel.info and booking.com and see what’s available. I found Hotel Le Poussin in Champoussin that way, from CHF 552 per quadruple room for 4 nights. I guess that’s one of the lowest prices you can find. Especially for a place so close to the slopes.

I hope you find an accommodation that suits your needs. Be sure to book as early as you can as many hotels will be fully booked for that week.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2011 at 7:25:34 #834556

There is a self catering apartment in Lauterbrunnen which is part of a chalet, 4 apartments in total.The lady owner rents for 3 nights at a time and I can reccomend it as my wife and I have stayed there many times.The cable cars for the ski slopes are at both ends of the village one within easy walking distance aprox 300 yds,and the railway is at the bottom of the road aprox 500 yds.It is worth contacting the owner of Chalet Horner to see if there are vacances for your timescale. GOOD LUCK.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2011 at 21:51:11 #834557

Thank you very much for this information. I am looking into this now.

We also found a hotel in hasliberg for a similar price called HOTEL FERIENHAUS WASSERWENDI – That accepted a 4 night stay. One Difference being we can make our meals in the apt that you suggested….cost saving.

My question to the forum now is …which do I choose?
    Hasliberg is near the ski resort Meiringen -Hasliberg ? Is this a better option than Jaungfrau for ski options?

Kind regards,
    Hennessy Family.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2011 at 3:09:08 #834558

that’s a tough question, I like Meiringen a lot, it’s great skiing in a small ski station. People will tell you you’ve got to go to the Jungfrau though because you get those views of the Eiger, Jungfrau and Mönch, the reason I don’t like it is that’s just what you get, views of them. I’m a ski-mountaineer and I want to be on the mountain not looking at it! Many years I ski on the Jungfrau using this route :

http://swissmountainleader.com/wp/2007/04/29/jungfraujoch-lotschenlucke/

But that’s a mountaineering trip.

If you’ve got a car then I’d take a day trip to the Jungfrau area though. Maybe two, the ski pass is the best value pass to get up on the Schilthorn where James Bond was filmed and you would want another day to take a few turns near the mens downhill race below the famous peaks.

There’s many other fine stations near there, Adelboden and Leank is very good and I like Gstaad ver much as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2011 at 10:57:23 #834559

I really liked Garmisch – Partenkirchen.
    I’ve used these guys last year for my holiday: http://www.ski-accommodation-finder.co.uk/.The site gives you quotes on prices directly from accommodation providers andchalet owners. Best of all, it is absolutely free.

• The thread ‘Dec 28th – 1st Jan – Accommodation in a ski resort’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.