December trip 5 days based in Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 4:57:17 #816898

Hi,

Posted a thread before but it got closed so here is another thread. Will be purchasing the Winter-Tell Pass when i arrive in Zurich on 30 Dec 2018. Travelling with a 5YO toddler. i have ideas on which trip and mount is free with the pass. My husband suggested Zermatt. We will be based in Lucerne.

1. 30th DECEMBER – We will arrive in Zurich at 9.45AM. TRAIN from Zurich Airport to Lucerne. We won’t be doing much things apart from exploring the Lucerne.(TRAIN from Zurich Airport to Lucerne) — should we explore the Mt Titlis/Mt Pilatus since it doesnt take whole day to explore those places?
    2. 31st DECEMBER – Lucerne (MT TITLIS) — Can we squeeze both Mt Titlis/Mt Pilatus in either one of the days?
    3. 1st JANUARY – Lucerne (MT PILATUS)
    4. 2nd JANUARY – Lucerne (DAY-TRIP TO BERN) — could we squeeze in Zermatt after seeing Bern? From the timetable, it was Bern – Visp – Zermatt
    5. 3rd JANUARY – Train to Zurich (STAY NEAR AIRPORT)

If there is anything to change, kindly advise.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    26 June 2018 at 9:08:10 #889491

Hi Melle,

1- Pilatus, you say it is possible, so you decide. Pilatus is closer to Lucerne than Titlis.

2/3 Titlis and Pilatus in one day. I think it can be done. Not sure it is worthwile, you’ll have about the same landscape from both.

4. If you want to see Bern, go to Zermatt, and get back to Lucerne, then rather no. Either don’t visit Bern, or spend the night in Zermatt. Remember that the Matterhorn could be behind clouds. Sunset around 4:30 pm on 2nd January.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 11:59:07 #889492

Hi Melle,

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan the trips and see if they will work for you. Some people will do Mt. Titlis and Pilatus (or another 2 mountains) on the same day but others find it is too long/busy for them. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Lucerne – Bern – Zermatt is a very long day and unless you are staying in Zermatt you’ll want to cut out Bern (or not go to Zermatt) I think.

You can easily train from Lucerne to Zurich airport on your day of departure (unless your flight is before 7am or so) so you don’t need to move to Zurich on Jan.3 (unless you want to of course). 🙂

The Tell pass of course doesn’t cover most of the trip to Zermatt so just keep in mind the need to buy tickets to Bern or from Interlaken onwards depending on your route. https://www.myswissalp s.com/tellpasswinter/v alidity

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 23:29:42 #889493

Thank you Lucas and Snowman for your reply. 🙂

• The thread ‘December trip 5 days based in Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.