Deciding on Swiss train tickets vs travel passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2019 at 0:16:07 #824525

My family of 4 will be visiting Switzerland December 19-22. We are staying in Interlaken and want to make a day trip to Jungfrau and take in all that it has to offer. Not sure of our other plans yet. I have reviewed information on the forum, but there is so much in formation out there I’m getting confused.

Should we buy a travel pass or half day pass, or is it more cost effective for us to simply purchase our tickets on the day we decide to make the excursion? Really need assistance deciphering all of this. THANKS!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2019 at 7:28:02 #925560

Hello Tspklp,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

I will include a few links to get you started. I will include a practical link on how to choose a rail pass and there is an excel chart so you can do the math. When you decide on a 4- day Swiss Travel Pass for you and your family, you don’t need to worry about purchasing a ticket each time you board, plus there are other benefits which is detailed in the link. When you decide on the Swiss Half Fare Card, you get 50% off each ticket but you need to purchase a ticket each time you board a train. In general, a rail pass is nearly always cheaper in comparison than purchasing just the regular train tickets. In addition, both types of train passes allow children up to the ages of 16 years old to travel for free.

I have included a link about the Christmas markets in Switzerland since you and your family will be here during this wonderful time. Please take a look:

I hope this helps get started! Please write again if you need further assistance.

Happy planning!

Suzanne

pvonk
    Participant
    382 posts
    24 November 2019 at 17:48:00 #925561

Hi, and welcome to the site. Your question about what to do can’t be answered without knowing a lot of information. Consider the following:

What you ask is similar to a grocery shopper having a choice of paying retail for 10 items of packaged food or buying a gift card for $50 that lets you take any 10 items. Which would you choose? You would have to make a list of the 10 items you need, get their prices and calculate the total and compare costs.

In your case make a list of each trip you want to take, you itinerary. Then price out the total cost. Only then will you know whether any of the Swiss passes (e.g. Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Half Fare Card, etc.) will be the better deal. Read through the info on this page (the same one that Suzanne includes above). Yes, it takes work, but unless you want to just pick one by chance, you need to do the math. You definitely need to consider your “other plans” now. Or included as much as you can and add up the regular ticket prices for these.

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2019 at 23:07:37 #925562

Thank you

• The thread ‘Deciding on Swiss train tickets vs travel passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.