Decoupling Swiss trains & being on the right one

• autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    15 June 2018 at 23:09:21 #816666

How do I know if I have to be careful about which train car to take? Does sbb app help with this at all? Tips/advice to get where we think we are going! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 June 2018 at 23:21:35 #888405

There are almost no places where you have to worry about that. The only one that I can think of is at Interlaken Ost, and there will be signs and conductors to guide you.

The Swiss are not generally parsimonious with their rail cars.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 June 2018 at 2:56:12 #888406

Apart from the situation at Interlaken that Slowpoke mentioned (where one half of train goes to Lauterbrunnen and the other half to Grindelwald) you may also strike a similar thing at Spiez. If travelling to Zermat via Spiez some trains split in two. One half goes to Brig the other to Zweisimmen.

The SBB App will tell you which part of the platform to be on eg 2A or 2B or whatever and the signage is very good.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 June 2018 at 11:33:25 #888407

Hi Rockoyster –

yes, forgot about Spiez.

And, the track data and platform location also shows up in the main online SBB timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Your comment reminded me that at Bern ( and possbly some other main stations) there maybe two trains at one platform, such as one at 2A-2B than another one at 2C-2D. Generally for the shorter local trains.

Signage is god. Check the overhead sign boards.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Decoupling Swiss trains & being on the right one’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.