Details, details… crazymaking!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2010 at 15:44:45 #803906

We are 5 skiers excited about a trip to Zermatt in 2011 March/April. Train and pass info is plentiful but confusing, so clarification will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Arrive AM March 22: We’ll take the train from Zurich airport to Zermatt.
    Transfer AM April 1: We’ll take Glacier Express to St. Moritz
    Return to Zurich April 2: We’ll take the train from St. Moritz to Zurich, and head to airport.

3 days travel, 5 people on the same trains at the same time. Seems a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass is the perfect fit…. BUT what about these details?

1) ‘Saver Flexi Pass’ is a single ticket, so if 2 want first class tickets + 3 want second class tickets but we’re on the same train, can we split up? Do we need to sit together?
    2) Does our ‘Saver Flexi Pass’ count toward 1 day of travel on the Glacier Express if it’s a private railroad?
    3) Does our ‘Saver Flexi Pass’ get a discount on the Glacier Express tickets?
    4) Do we book Glacier Express separately, but with acknowledgement that we have a ‘Saver Flexi Pass’?
    5) Are there are no discounts for seniors on Swiss rail passes?
    6) Booking is not open for April Glacier Express tickets at this time. There’s a different site for reservations. I’d like to keep everything coordinated within the Swiss Travel System– is that possible?
    7) Any idea what date it becomes possible to book April 1 Glacier Express?

Thanks for advice you may offer. Nice to find ‘experts’ online!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    13 July 2010 at 2:30:51 #831534

Hello NM Skier,

1) The Swiss Saver Flexi Pass can be used by two or more persons travelling together. So if you want to buy this Pass, splitting up in first and second class will not be possible, unless you buy two of these Passes, one for first class and one for second class.

2) The Swiss Saver Flexi Pass allows you to travel on the Glacier Express, but you will have to make reservations, which will cost you extra.

3) If you choose to travel on the GE on a free day, the only cost you will have is the reservation fee.

4) Yes, you will always have to make reservations, with which ever Pass you have.

5) Swiss train passes offer no discounts for seniors.

6) I can’t find any possibility to book for March/April 2011 too. Maybe it’s best for you to send an e-mail to the Rhätische Bahn.

7) Please view the answer given under 6). I’m sorry, I don’t know either.

Many questions and answers can be found on the Railway FAQ.

I really hope this helps!
    Olga

• The thread ‘Details, details… crazymaking!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.