Visit Pilatus after 3 pm on May 16?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2019 at 19:36:47 #821085

Hi,

We are arriving in Luzerne on 13th May’19 and will reach by 2pm. Although we will be Luzerne till 16th May, I wanted to know if it is a good idea to cover Mount Pilatus on the same day we arrive in Luzerne. Is it possible that we start for Mt. Pilatus by 3pm? And will get cable car and cogwheel train connect if we start at this time? And moreover we will be doing justice to this place if we start by 3pm? I am asking this as the other two days we have reserved for Jungfrau and Mt. Titlis and we definitely don’t want to miss Pilatus too.

Pls advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2019 at 2:42:33 #909822

Hello Gopal and Welcome to MySwissAlps

The cog wheel from Alpnachstad tp Pilatus is unlikely to be running 0n 13 May. It normally recommences operation “mid-May” but that is weather dependant. Refer to http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/gettingthere.

The NFO 1 bus from Luzern main station to Kriens, Zentrum Pilatus takes 30 minutes. From there it is a about a 6 -7 minute walk to the cable ways station.

You can still take the cable way from Kriens to Pilatus Kulm and return the same way. The last cable car descent is at 17:30. If the cogwheel is running the last descent is 17:45.

You can tell what is operating on the day you are there by checking http://www.pilatus.ch/en/nc/l ive/.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2019 at 3:28:59 #909823

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for this info. This information will really help me make plan my trip accordingly. I think I will take my chances on all days I would be staying in Lucerne and see if we can experience the cog wheel train to Pilatus.

While the cog wheel train experience of Pilatus is the ultimate one but can we find any other place from Lucerne or Zermatt which also has a Cog wheel train experience? I read in another forum about the same but no really sure…pls guide me here.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2019 at 3:41:41 #909824

Rigi has cogwheel trains going up one side and down the other. Zermatt has the train to Gornergrat.

None are quite as steep as Pilatus.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2019 at 16:45:54 #909825

Thanks a lot for the quick revert… really appreciate the help and guidance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 8:43:37 #909826

Dear Gopal,

as guided by the expert, i am also of the view its very much achievable and 1 hour stay at the top is enough and further it depends on you how much time having before last desecending. But before night and morning of the day going must check weather report of the mountain. This is also true weather all sudden deteriorated and again warm sun shining clear sky…..so we too take such risk in our last visit and well paid off with good weather at the time of visit.

Happy journey……….enjoy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 12:43:00 #909827

Thanks Hansaria for your suggestions. I hope the weather holds up well during our trip to this beautiful country.

• The thread ‘Visit Pilatus after 3 pm on May 16?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.