Difference Swiss Travel Pass/Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2017 at 3:08:48 #813809

Hello there,

Greetings from Singapore.

I will be travelling to Switzerland for my honeymoon on 1 Jan to 7 Jan 2018.

Here’s my itinerary plan:

1 January 2018: Flight out of London to Zurich, stayover in Zurich

2 – 4 January 2018: Zurich -> Chur -> Glacier Express to Andermatt (Reach Andermatt, stayover 2 nights in Wegen)

4 January 2018: Wegen -> Andermatt -> Glacier Express to Zermatt (Stayover 1 night at Zermatt)

5 January 2018: Zermatt -> Geneva

5 – 7 January 2018: Geneva (stayover 2 nights in Geneva)

I have already made seat reservation on Glacier Express from Chur to Andermatt.

Looking at my planned itinerary above, should I consider getting the Swiss Travel Pass (4 days consecutive) or Swiss Half Fare Card?

I am looking at the best price possible.

Appreciate your kind advice.

Many thanks,

Nicole

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 December 2017 at 3:54:38 #872826

Hi Nicole,

You wrote “Looking at my planned itinerary above, should I consider getting the Swiss Travel Pass (4 days consecutive) or Swiss Half Fare Card?

The only way to work out which is best is to calculate the full fares for the trips you want to do and then compare costs if you have one or other form of pass. If for example you plan to visit Jungfraujoch while in Wengen then the discount is 50% with a Swiss Half-Fare Card but only 25% with a SwissTravel Pass. See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

This PDF map (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity) will show you were the various Swiss Travel Passes are valid for “free” travel and where you get a discount in 2018. Be sure to study the legend.

It may be that an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass may be best.

As an aside I would suggest taking regular trains from Wengen to Zermatt via Interlaken, Spiez, Kandersteg and Brig rather than doubling back via Andermatt. The best part of the Glacier Express (IMHO) is the bit between Chur and Andermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2017 at 7:34:03 #872827

Hi Rockoyster.

Thank you for your prompt response 🙂

I do have intentions to visit Jungfraujoch. I will be taking the Glacier Express from Chur to Andermatt and from Andermatt to Wengen via regular trains. In this case, are you suggesting the Swiss Half Fare Card would provide me with the best price?

Thanks for your suggestions. How much would the train ticket cost for a regular train from Wengen to Zermatt? Should I go ahead with the Swiss Half Fare Card instead, would this Swiss Half Fare Card provides any discount for the regular train tickets?

Thanks for your suggestions 🙂

Greatly appreciate

Nicole

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 December 2017 at 8:46:54 #872828

Hi Nicole,

I only mentioned the difference in discounts for Jungfraujoch as a factor to take into account. I can’t tell you which is the best pass as I don’t know what other travel plans you have. Are you planning to visit Schilthorn? That is free with the Swiss Travel Pass in 2018.

The Swiss Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) will tell you how much the full fare tickets cost. For example see attached for regular trains from Wengen to Zermatt.

The Swiss Half-fare Card gets you 50% off most trains including the Glacier Express (see validity map referred to earlier) whereas with the Swiss Travel Pass most trains are free and you don’t even need to buy a ticket (apart from the Glacier Express which needs a separate reservation – which you have).

When I said the Chur to Andermatt leg of the Glacier Express was the best I didn’t include the Brig to Zermatt leg which is also quite spectacular. But because it is relatively short you won’t miss much by taking a regular train.

• The thread ‘Difference Swiss Travel Pass/Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.