Different SBB fares Montreux to Chamonix

• Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    3 November 2022 at 6:05:31 #828585

Would like to seek some clarifications regarding the train rides from Montrex to Chamonix -Aiguille du Midi for Dec travel.

Last month when i checked the Point to point fare with Half fare card was CHF24.50 for the stretch from Montreux to Chamonix -Aiguille du Midi. The stretch from Vallocine is supposed to be free for those with a Guest Card (though we have not checked into the hotel so I do wonder if we can ride for free. Have emailed hotel to ask about this).

I am thinking of buying the 2nd class tickets now via SBB but the fare is now almost double.

1× Discounted International Extension Ticket: Montreux-Vallorcine (F) – Partially flexible fares offer, Montreux – Vallorcine (F) via Martigny84011

Valid: Tue, 20.12.2022

Departure time: 08:43

CHF 29.10

1× TER – Billet Tarif Normal Régional – flexibility: SEMI_FLEX, Vallorcine (F) – Chamonix-Aiguille du Midi400001

Departure time: 10:10

CHF 10.00

Total price

CHF 39.10

So thought perhaps just put destination as Vallocine since beyond that it is supposed to be the free ride for Chamonix guests. Hence, gotten this fare, which is more expensive than the above fare!

Montreux Vallorcine (F)

via Martigny2nd class

1× Point-to-point Ticket125

Open tip Point-to-point Ticket

until Wed, 21.12.2022 05:00

CHF 40.00

Total price

CHF 40.00

or

Montreux Vallorcine (F)

via Martigny2nd class

1× Supersaver Ticket84004

Open tip Supersaver Ticket

Valid: Tue, 20.12.2022 dep 08:43

until Tue, 20.12.2022 10:05

CHF 31.40

Total price

CHF 31.40

Very confused and wonder what I had done differently previouly… Thank you for any help rendered.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    3 November 2022 at 9:11:10 #948109

Apologies. Made some discoveries after posting the above question but unable to delete it.

I realised fares are different between desktop and app. From the app, I am unable to book all the way to Chamonix but can book till Vallocine at CHF21.60. This fare is closer to my expectation. Can anyone advise are the point to point fares in SBB more expensive closer to travel date? If so I would buy them earlier. Else I could buy the day before or upon departure.

Hotel has also informed me I’ll need to buy ticket for the stretch from Vallocine to Chamonix so am looking out on where to purchase this ticket.

Thank you again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2022 at 9:25:41 #948110

Hi Uallin,

In case you have a Swiss Half Fare Card, you can use it in Switzerland, see the validity map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/validity. The border in your case will be Le Châtelard-Frontière. So from Montreux to Le Châtelard-Frontière you can get the half priced ticket.

From the border you have to get the French ticket. I do not know your French guest card or how it works. I think it is better if you ask your hotel about the validity. Perhaps they can send you online in advance so you can already use it before your check in to your hotel. Find more details about the normal French ticket: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/france.

How to find standar prices in the SBB timetable is explained here: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

Regarding the Swiss ticket, it is possible that it was cheaper before as sometimes you can find SuperSaver tickets. These tickets are not flexible and nonrefundable. You can read about the differences between the normal and the SuperSaver tickets here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Learn more about Montreux: http://www.myswissalps.com/montreux

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    3 November 2022 at 9:56:31 #948111

Hi Ildiko, Thanks for your reply. Yes, we do have the half fare card. From Montreux to Le Châtelard-Frontière? Not to Vallocine? Cos I’m able to buy SBB ticket up to Vallorcine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2022 at 10:00:04 #948112

Hi there,

according to the map at http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/validity, your Swiss Half Fare Card is valid only to Le Châtelard-Frontière. Le Châtelard-Frontière and Vallorcine are close to each other, just 5 mins by train.

Ildiko

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    3 November 2022 at 12:51:09 #948113

You’re right, Ildiko! Thank you for highlighting it to me. Guess my option is to buy a ticket at half fare rate from Montreux to Le Châtelard-Frontière (CHF18.4) and a separate full price ticket from Le Châtelard-Frontière to Vallorcine (CHF3.2) using SBB app. Since Le Châtelard-Frontière to Vallorcine is not covered by the Half fare card,I can assume the CHF3.2 stated in the app is the full amount? Or how do i change to full fare? Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2022 at 17:14:59 #948114

There are two types of border on European railways. Sometimes there is a station on either side of the actual frontier (version A), sometimes there is one station in one country that acts as a joint border station (Version B). With version A the two separate stations are both ‘ticketing border points’ (the old traditional printed timetables used to show this with a small building symbol

examples of version B = Geneve Cornavin, Buchs SG, Tirano

example of version A = Chiasso / Como

In the case of the Martigny – Chamonix line, it is version A the two stations being Le Chatelard (CH) and Vallorcine (F), so Le Chatelard is the Swiss ‘ticketing border’

One other thing to note is that ticket prices may have gone up since you looked previously (eg there may not be any discounts in France as the ski season get going)

Lastlook
    Participant
    183 posts
    3 November 2022 at 21:14:26 #948115

In case this might be helpful to anyone: This past June, I bought my ticket right at the Montreux train station ticket window for the portion from the Swiss/French border to Chamonix on the Mont Blanc Express. The one way ticket price was 13.00 CHF per person. (The journey from Montreux to the border was already covered by my Swiss Travel Pass.) Travel time was 2 hours, 2 minutes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2022 at 21:53:18 #948116

That’s useful information

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    4 November 2022 at 5:17:06 #948117

Thank you 1960man. Very useful info, Lastlook, as you’ve provided us with an important option. Thank you.

As what we have is the Half Fare Card, we will buy ticket to Le Châtelard-Frontière then from Le Châtelard-Frontière, we shall rely on the ticket bought from Montreux train station to cross borders. Thanks again everyone!

• The thread ‘Different SBB fares Montreux to Chamonix’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.