Difficulty booking the Gotthard Panorama Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2019 at 1:38:56 #821499

I am trying to book tickets on the Gotthard Panorama Express. I used the advanced search to find the boat trip Lucerne to Fluelen and located a booking for 2nd class tickets (184 for the family). I then advanced searched train schedules Fluelen to Lugano via Goschenen and found a PE (Panorama Express) labeled train route for the time that I want. It is my understanding that the GPE trains are all 1st class. But, when I go to check out for my tickets by panoramic train (Fluelen to Lugano) it says that we are in 2nd cIass and the cost for the family is the same 184 that I was quoted for the Lucerne to Fluelen boat. I am totally confused and not confident that I am booking the right trip. I don’t want to purchase non-refundable tickets until I have both legs of the trip properly selected and in my shopping cart. Perhaps I need to purchase the boat trip, then have faith that I can then purchase the train trip? Very frustrating that there is not a phone number to call to get help with booking.

FYI: This link is the page showing the Fluelen to Lugano train trip stating that we are in 2nd class with a charge of 184: http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/offerte/offerten. xhtml

Toni M.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

PnBA
    Participant
    51 posts
    7 May 2019 at 3:33:35 #911794

I’m having similar problems, Toni. These websites are either prone to errors, or prone to causing us to make errors.

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 May 2019 at 4:39:51 #911795

Hi Toni,

Will you have any rail pass, or is this your only trip in Switzerland? When will the trip be? What is the number of travelers and age of the children, if any? The 1st class Saver Day Pass could be an option as it covers both the boat and train, and any other traveling you may do that day: http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass. Additionally you would only need a reservation for the train: http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress/ tickets.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 May 2019 at 5:01:06 #911796

Hello Toni,

Can you post a screen shot of the page on the SBB site you are referring to? Your link just shows the timetable search form.

The full 2nd class fare on the boat is CHF46 per adult so I guess you have 4 adults to arrive at CHF184. You can’t make reservations on the boat.

The full 1st Class fare on the train is CHF81 per adult.

You can make reservations on the train at bit.ly/2HHB2Ev. See attached to see how to fill in details correctly (just change date). You probably can’t make reservations more than 2 months out from travel. Once you have reservations you can buy tickets at anytime up to the time you board the train. You don’t have to buy tickets specifically for the Gotthard PE departure time just so long as you have a 1st Class ticket for Flüelen to Lugano via Göschenen on the right date.

Or you can use a pass as Arno suggests.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2019 at 17:13:54 #911797

Replying to Arno: We do not have rail passes. Based on our travel, I determined that for the number of train trips we will take the pass was not cost effective. The day we’ll travel on the Gotthard Panorama Express is Sunday 6/30, heading ultimately to Stressa on Lago Maggiore, Italy that same day. This is the only panoramic train we will take while in Switzerland. We have 4 travelers ages 65, 63, 23, 17. For this 1 boat/train trip I’m not sure it is worth it too purchase 1st class Saver Day Passes.

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 May 2019 at 17:19:37 #911798

The Saver Day Pass is often cheaper for a trip like this, if you buy it well in advance. You can check prices and further details through the link in my previous post.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 May 2019 at 21:13:22 #911799

Hello Toni,

If you are proceeding by train to Stresa then you may want to read http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

The other alternative is to leave the GPEX at Bellinzona and proceed to Locarno where you can take a ferry to Stresa. I’m not sure how the timetables for those modes of transport out mesh.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2019 at 12:42:52 #911800

Arno: I looked again at the Saver Day Pass. Am I correct in saying that the 88 per person pass will cover all travel for 1 day on the boat from Luzern to Fluelen, then the GPE train from Fluelen to Bellinzona, where we switch at no additional charge to Locarno? It may even cover part of our journey from Locarno to Stressa? If so the cost for my family of 4 would be 324 (much less than purchasing individual tickets for boat/trains at 508). Toni

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 May 2019 at 13:01:38 #911801

Hi Toni,

Yes, that’s correct. You can download the map of what’s covered from the Saver Day Pass link I provided before. Don’t forget the seat reservations for the Gotthard Panorama Express train, that’s explained in the other link.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 May 2019 at 20:24:54 #911802

CHF88 is the price of a 2nd Class Saver Day Pass so it won’t get you on the GPEX train which is 1st Class only. It will get you in the regional trains which cover the exact same route. It doesn’t cover the boat to Stresa.

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 May 2019 at 20:36:43 #911803

Isn’t CHF 88 the lowest price for the 1st class pass Rockoyster? No guarantee it will actually be available for that price for the desired date of course.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 May 2019 at 20:51:11 #911804

That’s true but CHF88 could also be the best price for a 2nd Class SDP on the day they are travelling; it happens. Toni never mentioned how far away their travel date is.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2019 at 21:46:53 #911805

Arno and RockOyster: Thanks for your help with information on the Saver Day Pass and the GPE tickets. I ordered both and am all set. Now I will check RockOyster’s link to Stressa transportation. I don’t think I could have figured out the best price for the GPE without your help! Toni

• The thread ‘Difficulty booking the Gotthard Panorama Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.