Direct train route Bad Ragaz to Luzern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2018 at 11:57:38 #814167

Hello. I had received previous advice that if I wanted to take a boat ride on Lake Lucerne “on my way” to Zurich from Bad Ragaz, then the best way would be to take the ‘direct route’ from Bad Ragaz to Lucerne, then boat to Fluelen, then train to Zurich. I like the sound of this, but when I try to find the train route from Bad Ragaz to Luzern it almost takes me to Zurich. Is there a more direct route? Thanks for your help. Jenallan18

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2018 at 14:02:59 #875245

Hi Jenallan18,

No, that is the most “direct” route or at least fastest route – that is always what the timetable will suggest.
    If you have time you could go via Andermatt but that takes some time and some train changes…add Andermatt in the VIA box on the timetable.

Alternatively you could look into a lake cruise on Lake Zurich from Rapperswil – there are limited boats running though in the winter (once per day at the moment).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2018 at 14:13:53 #875246

Thanks Lucas. I’ll look into it some more as I think that this ‘train / boat / train’ day for 6hrs is probably more enjoyable than walking around Zurich for 6 hours. What do you think?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 10:08:08 #875247

Ooooh hmm. Yes some people will prefer a day on trains and boats compared to Zurich…have a look at our what to do in Zurich page to maybe help you decide.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 13:15:05 #875248

Thanks Lucas. Have a great week and thanks for your help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 3:30:49 #875249

>> that this ‘train / boat / train’ day for 6hrs is probably more enjoyable than walking around Zurich for 6 hours.

Zürich is a lovely city to walk around for a few hours. The old city on both sides of the Limmat River is largely pedestrianised and charming. You could also take a boat trip on the Zürichsee.

Another option is to take the Seilbahn Rigiblick (funicular) up to the top station, where there is a small park adjacent to the Seilbahn station. There is a nice view over Zürich, the Zürichsee (Lake Zürich) and the mountains beyond. I like to go up there shortly before sunset to watch the city lights come on in the dusk.

To get there from Zürich Hauptbahnhof (main station), take the #10 tram (direction Zürich Flughafen) to the tram stop called “Seilbahn Rigiblick” (6 stops, 9 minutes). The bottom station of the Seilbahn Rigiblick is at the far end of a small plaza near the tram stop. Standard Zürich public transport fares/tickets apply, and it is in the central fare zone (zone 110).

The reason first-time visitors are encouraged to head straight out of Zürich on arrival is that other areas of Switzerland have so much more to offer in terms of scenic beauty, and they are closer to the alps. But for spending some time on your last day in Switzerland before flying home, Zürich has plenty to offer.

There is a good walking route for seeing the best of Zürich old town and some lakeside areas here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/zurich

I have attached some photos of Zürich Altstadt, lakeside, and views from viewpoints.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 4:04:17 #875251

Thanks Alpenrose666 for sharing those suggestions and photos. I think I’m going to play this one by ear a bit depending on the weather on the day. I’m assuming that it will be easy to book trains and boats last minute for either of these options? Jenallan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 4:10:31 #875252

>> I’m assuming that it will be easy to book trains and boats last minute for either of these options?

There are a few different options mentioned on this page. I’m not sure which one you’re referring to …

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 4:34:39 #875253

Sorry Alpenrose for the vaguenss. I was just following up on an earlier thread that you and I had with Peterli about the train trip from Bad Ragaz to Zurich, whereby you had both suggested that I take the ‘direct’ train to Lucerne, boat to Fluelen, train to Zurich. I had asked about the Golden Pass. It was a month or so ago. I had since looked at the train route and was trying to find a ‘direct’ train and Lucas had been helping me with that (this thread). I was then tossing up between the 6hrs train / boat / train option and just Zurich for the evening (international flight 1:30pm next day), or miss the ‘scenic route’ to Zurich to spend more time in Zurich. My thoughts are that I would prefer the scenic route but if the weather is no good, then will go direct to Zurich. The question was then, can I book either of those routes at the last minute (ie day or so before) dependent on weather?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 January 2018 at 4:56:51 #875254

Hello Jenallan,

For “direct” to Lucerne from Bad Ragaz check out the attached route.

If you don’t mind a few train changes you can pick up the Voralpen Express at Uznach. From there you can got to Arth-Goldhau and then Flüelen or Lucerne. The route I have shown takes you to Flüelen to join the Lake Cruise. You can easily do the lake cruise the other way round starting at Luzern.

Just for a laugh you could go from Arth-Goldhau up to the top of Rigi then down the other side to Vitznau and pick up a boat to Flüelen. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 12:17:26 #875255

Hey there Mr Lobster 😉 We’re not too keen on too many train changes (each have a suitcase … or early mornings!), but … what do you mean go up to the top of Rigi? We would prefer the lake cruise “to Fluelen” so that we can take the scenic train ride “from Fluelen” back to Zurich as suggested by Alpenrose666 and Peterli. But happy not to have to go into Lucerne again if there is something else to see. What do you suggest?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 January 2018 at 20:11:07 #875256

Ahoy Jenallen,

The early start was just an example of the route. There would be later departures.

If you are carrying luggage then I guess Rigi (http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi) would be problematic. It was just a left field suggestion anyway.

Another option on reaching Arth-Goldhau is to leave luggage in lockers. Go to Rigi and return. Then continue on to Zurich via Zug for scenic route. Or just delete the Rigi leg and go on to Zurich to see some of Alpenrose’s suggestions.

Choices choices.

I skimmed your earlier thread but got lost on your plans and didn’t see any reference to direct route to Luzern. 🧐. Maybe it was the reference to the Gotthard Panorama route? The via Andermatt suggestion from Lucas to join the GP route means over 4 hours from BR to Flüelen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 21:37:11 #875257

Hi all. Thanks very much for all your input. Sorry I don’t know how to link threads. For completeness: We are traveling from Bad Ragaz to Zurich. I had initially questioned about the Goulthard Panoramic. Since we had already traveled to Bad Ragaz via Glacier Express, Alpenrose666 and Peterli had suggested direct train Bad Ragaz to Lucerne, boat to Fluelen, then scenic train back to Zurich. Another thread had answered my question re luggage on the boat. We really liked this scenic journey suggestion. I then couldn’t find a ‘direct’ train but Lucas advised that the route I found that nearly goes to Zurich was the ‘fastest and most direct’ one anyway. So, we still like this scenic route suggestion but also know that Zurich is a beautiful city and either option (scenic day or Zurich walking day) will be enjoyable. Our final decision may therefore come down to the weather on the day. My remaining question then (hopefully as you have all been so patient and helpful) is: Can we decide and book either route home the day before depending on the weather or are we better to book in advance and reserve seats (have a half fare Swiss card). Many thanks all 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 January 2018 at 21:56:41 #875258

Yes, Jenallen you can just buy tickets on the day even. No bookings/reservations required whichever way you go. At least you have no shortage of routes to take.

• The thread ‘Direct train route Bad Ragaz to Luzern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.