How to know the driving speed limit in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2017 at 7:03:42 #813194

hello,

i read your driving guidance in switzerland. And it mentioned how strict the rule is about speeding and how expensive the fine is . My question is, if you are a foreigner, renting a car and dont know the speed limit in certain area , how to avoid the speed trap? And if you happened to go over speed limit, how long will it take to get the ticket, is it possible to pay before you leave the country?

We r planning to drive in switzerland but reading the forum in tripadvisor sounds like a horror to me. However still considering to do it anyway, thats why i need your info in here to prepare myself for the worst scenario. Because we certainly would like to come back to this country with no issue caused by any speeding ticket or any issue caused by driving in this country.

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I truly appreciate it.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 September 2017 at 12:58:31 #869491

Hi Angiedjoe17,

You will have to make sure you know the speed limit, there is no way to avoid camera’s. There are signs showing the maximum speed and apart from that you’ll have to know the basic rules like 50 km/h in towns and 80 km/h outside of towns. Keep in mind that the regulations are there for safety reasons, even more so if you are a visitor and unfamiliar to the roads. There are quite some roads in the mountains where it’s not a good idea to drive the maximum speed, because the road is narrow, steep, curvy or all at the same time. The maximum speed is truly a maximum there, not a recommendation.

Many speeding tickets will be send to your home address, also in case of international visitors. I don’t know how long this takes. If you just pay the fine there’s no problem during your next visit to Switzerland. But I’d highly recommend to avoid fines, it’s a waste of your holiday budget 🙂

It’s indeed recommended to read our car section. Also I’d recommend to only rent a car if you have a good reason for it. Most itineraries can easily or much better be done by trains and other public transport. This page might be useful: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain.

Have a safe trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2017 at 22:01:39 #869492

Dear Arno,

thank you so much for the input. Iam just getting more nervous about driving there. I heard some people got the ticket thats not true to the speed that was done at all, is that true? Could it happen? Maybe we iust need to consider train the whole time.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 September 2017 at 7:52:43 #869493

Hi Angiedjoe17,

I’ve not heard of incorrect tickets before. I have heard of people who didn’t know about the actual speed limit and therefore thought the ticket was incorrect. On highways, for example, the standard speed limit is 120 km/h. But in tunnels and around cities it’s often limited to 80 or 100 km/h. If you miss the sign it is easy to receive an expensive ticket. Just prepare and watch the road and traffic rather than the scenery, and it should be fine. But yes, the trains are more relaxed. They definitely are the best way the explore Switzerland, unless, as I said, there are specific reason to travel by car. I travel by car and train myself, but like the trains better.

• The thread ‘How to know the driving speed limit in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.